Prefers rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Muscle

5 Year Member
One of my torts seems to prefer eating rocks and stones - at least trying to eat them anyway - than plants. She sometimes even tries to eat poop from either herself or the cat.
When I feed them inside, where there are no mouth-full sized stones, she eats every last bit of plant. But when they are outside with the growing plants she seems to eat less plant and tries to eat stones and poop.
Any ideas on why or what i should do?
It can't be healthy so i'm worried, but it seems if i wasn't there to stop her it would almost be natural...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt:

Try to keep all the mouth-sized rocks and stones picked up so it can't eat them. Make sure the tortoise is well-hydrated. Use a mineral supplement for a while sprinkled on each meal. I use Sticky Tongue Farms - Miner-All.

Mr Muscle

5 Year Member
Hey
I dust every few days, and they do have a cuttlebone but it only really gets attention from one if the other torts. When they are inside I feed them food from outside, and if they are inside it's because its been raining so the food is all wet. I assume they get enough water from this because the couple times i've tried putting in a water dish, they ignore it :/

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try what Yvonne mentioned.. and remove all the rocks you can. Or you may have a Vet Bill or worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.