Right Size Deep Dome?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi all, I bought a fixture online for the enclosure. I’m using it with a floodlight to heat. Is the large Zoo Med deep dome too large for a 65 w floodlight?
is the mini dome big enough?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 0A7E548A-D642-4E54-9CF2-5E11455BB9F8.jpeg
    0A7E548A-D642-4E54-9CF2-5E11455BB9F8.jpeg
    759.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 0C6E2E0D-2245-4161-8048-42AE4DEE6972.jpeg
    0C6E2E0D-2245-4161-8048-42AE4DEE6972.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Looks to be right,but how are you securing it in place. If it has the clamp please stop using that hang it by other means as the clamp fails and the lamp falls

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I believe the width of the opening matters more than the dome. For a basking fixture you want a wide opening to allow the bulb to project as much heat to as much surface area as possible in order to get the most out of the flood bulb.

Something like this 10.5 inch brooder work light is what I would generally recommend as a cheaper, more durable option for basking lights. Never rely on the use of c;lamps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not a fan of the deep domes, or the pet store prices. I get my fixtures at Home Depot.

If you want it anyway, just make sure its rated for the wattage of your bulb. I'm pretty sure all of them are rated for more than 65 watts, but double check to be sure.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Thanks y’all! It’s not a clamp light; it’s hanging by a hanger.

The brooder lamp looks good, and is much cheaper than the Zoo Med fixtures. I put it in my basket. I chickened out at Home Depot yesterday because there were so many choices, and no one around to help. I went with Zoo Med because I assumed it would fit.

I’ll go back to Home Depot tomorrow for the fixture. I did get flood lights like Tom suggested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: Tom

Quixx66

Louisiana
I'm not a fan of the deep domes, or the pet store prices. I get my fixtures at Home Depot.

If you want it anyway, just make sure its rated for the wattage of your bulb. I'm pretty sure all of them are rated for more than 65 watts, but double check to be sure.
Do the UVB fixtures at HD work? Should I use Home Depot bulbs as well or pet store brands?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do the UVB fixtures at HD work? Should I use Home Depot bulbs as well or pet store brands?
Home Depot will not have any reptile specific UV bulbs. I get those from Lightyourreptiles.com when needed, but you might not need them in your warm climate. They can go a few weeks in winter without UV. Personally, I use LED strips or bulbs indoors for extra lighting, and use the sun for UV a couple few times a week. I get those LEDs at Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I believe the width of the opening matters more than the dome. For a basking fixture you want a wide opening to allow the bulb to project as much heat to as much surface area as possible in order to get the most out of the flood bulb.

Something like this 10.5 inch brooder work light is what I would generally recommend as a cheaper, more durable option for basking lights. Never rely on the use of c;lamps.
Does this have a hanger in addition to the clamp?
Thanks.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Home Depot will not have any reptile specific UV bulbs. I get those from Lightyourreptiles.com when needed, but you might not need them in your warm climate. They can go a few weeks in winter without UV. Personally, I use LED strips or bulbs indoors for extra lighting, and use the sun for UV a couple few times a week. I get those LEDs at Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart.
Thanks for the light recommendations. I’ll check them out.

We are warm here but we run the air in summer at 78 and don’t heat the house much in winter unless it get below 50 or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the light recommendations. I’ll check them out.

We are warm here but we run the air in summer at 78 and don’t heat the house much in winter unless it get below 50 or so.
What species are you housing?

Quixx66

Louisiana

i just bought this. Thank you!