Lighting help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
I need a light fixture to put inside my 4 foot long enclosure that is compatible with a zoomed 36" reptisun 10.0. Do i have to buy a zoomed fixture or can I buy something at home depot that would be compatible? Lighting for large enclosures are extremely expensive and I am trying to find a cheaper alternative for UVB, basking and CHE. I have pretty much finished everything else in the Enclosure and the only thing I still need to accomplish is lighting and heating. I dont think the MVB will produce enough light for a 4ft x2ft x 2ft enclosure (which is why I wanted a long tube light) and besides that I needed to use a deep dome for the MVB and the deep dome inside of a 2ft tall enclosure is a problem because it would come down way too low. Bear in mind that I am trying to avoid having to use a screen for the top of the enclosure so any fixture I buy would have to be mounted inside of the enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have years ago purchased light fixtures from Home Depot for the old style fluorescent aquarium lighting. So I would think you could still use them today also. Just to remind you. The fluorescents do not give out as much UVB as the MVB. However, if they get outside a lot it doesn't matter.

yarok

5 Year Member
can I just install a couple of basic porcelain fixtures on the plywood? or do i have to worry about the fixtures heating up and setting my enclosure on fire?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yarok said:
can I just install a couple of basic porcelain fixtures on the plywood? or do i have to worry about the fixtures heating up and setting my enclosure on fire?

I don't think the fluorescents get hot enough to cause a fire. So, yes you should be able to just install the fixture, however, most aquarium fluorescents have a metal reflector strip, to reflect lighting and UVB. So if the fixture you buy from Home Depot or wherever has a reflector strip, I would us it also. But if you are talking about a MVB, then, no I would make sure the fixture is in the dome.

Akronic

5 Year Member
the porcelain fixtures are for incandescent or self-ballasted MVB. they are for the screw-in type bulbs not the tubes. you can either use the standard T-8 fluorescent 36"-48"(48" fixtures are more common and the bulbs draw the same amount of power as the 36" usually) or you can secure the porcelain base to the underside of the plywood lid or make an over hang. you can try to copy these designs

Attachments

• roycereptile_tortoisetable.jpg
    roycereptile_tortoisetable.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 13
  • table1.JPG
    table1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 18

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you have a picture of the enclosure? It will be easier if we can see what you're working with.

Status
Not open for further replies.