Ridiculously excited!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, quickly jumping into an Aldabra. Exciting. You do know that it can not be housed with your sulcata right?
If your driving to pick it up from the breeder and it's a long ride, give it a nice warm soak when you get it home. Do the same if it's being shipped to you. Of course, don't forget pics.

BevSmith

Wow, quickly jumping into an Aldabra. Exciting. You do know that it can not be housed with your sulcata right?
If your driving to pick it up from the breeder and it's a long ride, give it a nice warm soak when you get it home. Do the same if it's being shipped to you. Of course, don't forget pics.
Yeah I'm sure the sulcata will be a jerk, so thank goodness for a fair amount of land to have multiple enclosures!! Currently we have about a quarter acre fenced off for them to share (total) - will be looking toward building an enclosure with half-pallets as fences, reinforced with t-posts (for now, while they're still little guys).

It will be a very very long ride... No shipping for us. We are flying out and driving back. Total drive time will be approximately 20-25 hours.

Will definitely give him a nice soak! Should I do this along the way, as well? He is a 10-inch, 2 and some change year-old. - I haven't the bravery to have a hatchling quite yet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your letting them share the acre but in separate enclosures right? Species should never mix and sulcata can be nasty where the Aldabra, specially the young ones can be very timid.
Yes, I think it would be good to soak him along the way if your stopping for the night anyway. If you just plan on driving straight through you could wait till you got home, just ask the breeder to give him a good soak the day before you arrive incase they aren't big on soaking.
If you make the fence line that's between the two solid that they can't see through, you will have a better chance of the sulcata not trying to bull doze it over.
I don't know about aldabras, but I always read that tortoises like to poop a lot when in a car, so be prepared.
Good luck, hope these last few days don't drag on and seem like your big day is never going to come.

BevSmith

Your letting them share the acre but in separate enclosures right? Species should never mix and sulcata can be nasty where the Aldabra, specially the young ones can be very timid.
Yes, I think it would be good to soak him along the way if your stopping for the night anyway. If you just plan on driving straight through you could wait till you got home, just ask the breeder to give him a good soak the day before you arrive incase they aren't big on soaking.
If you make the fence line that's between the two solid that they can't see through, you will have a better chance of the sulcata not trying to bull doze it over.
I don't know about aldabras, but I always read that tortoises like to poop a lot when in a car, so be prepared.
Good luck, hope these last few days don't drag on and seem like your big day is never going to come.

The enclosures will be separate - working on that this week - was going to take pallets to create separate enclosures, but that sounds like a good idea about not letting them see each other!

They will both be approximately the same size, but I still don't want this little guy to be bullied by the sulcata whatsoever.

Will plan to soak the little man every night, since we won't be driving straight through.

Our sulcata poops in the car every time we go somewhere, so I am definitely prepared (yet not looking forward to) that!!