Reunited!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Croydon
Hello All,

So finally after 6/8 weeks of looking after 'Sheldon' I finally came across his/her real owner!!!
Was a bittersweet moment :tort:

So whilst out looking at my car one of the 'neighbors' (I say neighbor but was a lady who lives a road down and behind us) was walking past with their dog and stopped to talk to me. She mentioned that she has lost one of her tortoises about 6/8 weeks ago and thought it would be hiding in the garden somewhere but it still hasn't turned up. At first I didn't admit to finding the tortoise and wanted to find out more...
I asked if she had put posters up... nope.
I asked if she had called around the local pet stores... nope.
I asked if she had called around the local vets... nope.
So I was a bit skeptical to admit that it could be the one I found, as there didn't seem to be much affection or concern towards it. But my conscience got the better of me and if this little rock could bring me this much joy I couldn't keep it from its owner (even if they do have two in the same enclosure).
So later that evening I took the tortoise over to the lady's house and admitted that I had found it in the garden and have been caring for it ever since.
She was so happy to have it back and grateful that I had looked after it and taken it to the vets she let me in her house to show me the enclosure they have set up in the garden and reunite it with its friend 'Thing 1' and let me put the tortoise back.
The lady told me that they had laid eggs but have never bothered to hatch them as they weren't interested in breeding them but was so happy that I had cared for her tortoise that if they laid any more she would try to hatch them and give them to me :<3:

I am so glad that Sheldon (who is actually called 'Thing 2') is now back with its true owner and where it belongs but have to admit that I really, really miss that lil rock!

Croydon
Thank you both EllieMay & Maro2Bear!

I know it was the right thing to do and if he I had lost a tortoise I would hope somebody would care for it like I have and hopefully return it, but I did have a lil cry and do miss him ALOT!

I have already started to look for my very own but have a few concerns...
1. If I get a hatchling I'm scared of looking after it because it is so small and apparently harder when they are younger?
2. What is the best sort of tortoise to get? Sheldon was a Eastern Hermann's tortoise, fully gown and didn't worry too much about giving him free roam of the garden during the day.
3. Is it a good idea to adopt an unwanted tortoise?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's really blinking horrible doing the right thing sometimes!
But you did and should be proud of yourself.
Hatchlings are harder to care for than older torts, but as long as you get your set up right before you get one, and get one from a reputable breeder, it can be fine and very rewarding.
Greeks, Hermann's, Russians and one or two other species are comparatively easy to care for compared to some exotic species, but redfoots and desert tortoises are good first torts as well. Again, set up is all important.
Yes, I think it's an excellent idea to adopt.
Good luck! :<3:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello All,

So finally after 6/8 weeks of looking after 'Sheldon' I finally came across his/her real owner!!!
Was a bittersweet moment :tort:

So whilst out looking at my car one of the 'neighbors' (I say neighbor but was a lady who lives a road down and behind us) was walking past with their dog and stopped to talk to me. She mentioned that she has lost one of her tortoises about 6/8 weeks ago and thought it would be hiding in the garden somewhere but it still hasn't turned up. At first I didn't admit to finding the tortoise and wanted to find out more...
I asked if she had put posters up... nope.
I asked if she had called around the local pet stores... nope.
I asked if she had called around the local vets... nope.
So I was a bit skeptical to admit that it could be the one I found, as there didn't seem to be much affection or concern towards it. But my conscience got the better of me and if this little rock could bring me this much joy I couldn't keep it from its owner (even if they do have two in the same enclosure).
So later that evening I took the tortoise over to the lady's house and admitted that I had found it in the garden and have been caring for it ever since.
She was so happy to have it back and grateful that I had looked after it and taken it to the vets she let me in her house to show me the enclosure they have set up in the garden and reunite it with its friend 'Thing 1' and let me put the tortoise back.
The lady told me that they had laid eggs but have never bothered to hatch them as they weren't interested in breeding them but was so happy that I had cared for her tortoise that if they laid any more she would try to hatch them and give them to me :<3:

I am so glad that Sheldon (who is actually called 'Thing 2') is now back with its true owner and where it belongs but have to admit that I really, really miss that lil rock!
Well done, though it must have been very hard.

daniellenc

Maryland
What a great story and good for you!! Now for your own rock. Read up on the different types. Consider size, enclosure space needed, diet, do you want to hibernate? What’s your climate like? Hatchlings are easy when housed properly it’s just the daily soak that is different, but adoption is awesome because you’re giving an older tort a new life. Both have their rewards!