Pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I just called the pet store where I bought Hermy in February. I spoke with the employee that is in charge of the reptile department (the store is called pet nature). I asked her to give me the name and number of the Hermann breeder and she told me that she did not know. I asked her who order the reptile and she answered me that it was her. I told her I wanted to know the correct age of my tortoise and I really wanted to know the name of the breeder and she told me no because she did not know. I made my point that I really wanted the name and she gave me a name just like that. I checked on the internet and the name does not even exist. She told me the "breeder" came at the store a couple of times with Hermann tortoises and ask if the store wanted to buy them. I called at another store of the same chain and the guy told me that they have a list of breeder and that the store is in charge of the orders, no one come in the store to sell reptiles. I think the girl lied to me, I really dont know why :(

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, there may be a multitude of reason she did not want to give you the breeders name. But I am sure that their Inventory list when they got Hermy is there with the seller on the list. Perhaps Hermy was wild caught as a hatchling. Perhaps it is store policy not to give out the name. Perhaps Hermy was turned in and she does not really know the person who gave it to the store. Here in the USA Pet stores often are given animals by owners and the store never knows their name. But they make a profit because they did not have to buy the tort. If the girl thought there is a problem she may not have wanted to give you any information.
Did you contact the manager of the store or their Corporate headquarters? You may need to if you plan on getting any information. And there is a good chance you won’t get any answers anyway.
Just know that whatever age Hermy is he is in a loving household with a forever home and thank your blessings he is yours.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
That is very frustrating! It's not like your trying to do anything except find out the birthday. What harm is that? Maybe they think we're trying to get them in trouble or something. Or the sale was not on the "up and up". You know?

I had the same issue when I bought mine. He at least told me about how many weeks old it was when they got it in the store. And I just estimated from there ... So we just gave him a birthday! I can tell you that next time (there will be a next time I can FEEL it) I will buy from one of these lovely people on the forum ! :D

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Here's why... The petshop buys from the breeder... marks it up... and sells it to you. The shop is not going to give you the source because it will be cutting it's own throat.

There another scenario... the breeder does not want to deal with the general public... most breeders I know are like this... Tortoise people are nuts.

If you are looking to maintain genitic diversity... look at it as a random occurance... totally natural.

Birth date... you can ask for that... IF... the shop is directly in contact... there can always be... yet... another middleman.

Isa said:
I just called the pet store where I bought Hermy in February. I spoke with the employee that is in charge of the reptile department (the store is called pet nature). I asked her to give me the name and number of the Hermann breeder and she told me that she did not know. I asked her who order the reptile and she answered me that it was her. I told her I wanted to know the correct age of my tortoise and I really wanted to know the name of the breeder and she told me no because she did not know. I made my point that I really wanted the name and she gave me a name just like that. I checked on the internet and the name does not even exist. She told me the "breeder" came at the store a couple of times with Hermann tortoises and ask if the store wanted to buy them. I called at another store of the same chain and the guy told me that they have a list of breeder and that the store is in charge of the orders, no one come in the store to sell reptiles. I think the girl lied to me, I really dont know why :(

Charlet_2007

5 Year Member
That's sucks..:( you have a right to know i think.. I know of a pet store here in my town bought baby aquatic turtles for 6.00 and sell's them for 29.99 apiece i think it's a rip off.. But they care more for that all mighty dollar then the well being of the reptile or animal..

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I know there are shops that do this... they last about 2-3 years.

Normal markup is about 100% for animals outside of fish.

Charlet_2007 said:
That's sucks..:( you have a right to know i think.. I know of a pet store here in my town bought baby aquatic turtles for 6.00 and sell's them for 29.99 apiece i think it's a rip off.. But they care more for that all mighty dollar then the well being of the reptile or animal..

Charlet_2007

5 Year Member
i don't know it'll probably last longer then that it's called Petland.. they really don't care about the small animals eather.. at anytime a person can walk up and hold a rabbit of ferret without asking and carry different virus to all them... I saw here the other day i was in there and a mom of a kid picked up a hamster and let her 2 year old hold it.. the 2 year old didnt want it litterly thew it.. the little hamster just layed on the floor.. probably killed it or hurt it for life.. :(:(

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Yea... I used to deliver reptiles to Petland (If this is the one in the NY Met. area)... ummmm... 1979 to 1981... crap... that hurt. Liked the way the did it for a 'petshop'.

I'd be willing to bet that was the idea for Petland/Petsmart... All it takes is to think... or more importantly... want... bigger.

Charlet_2007 said:
i don't know it'll probably last longer then that it's called Petland.. they really don't care about the small animals eather.. at anytime a person can walk up and hold a rabbit of ferret without asking and carry different virus to all them... I saw here the other day i was in there and a mom of a kid picked up a hamster and let her 2 year old hold it.. the 2 year old didnt want it litterly thew it.. the little hamster just layed on the floor.. probably killed it or hurt it for life.. :(:(

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
some pet stores do buy pets from random breeders in the area, when i was younger we used to sell cockateals to our local pet store and they just bought them from us and never asked questions. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Petland buys puppy mill puppies and sells them to the public. parvo is a big issue as well as genetic issues. poor quality puppies. they start at 800$.. They say they buy from USDA inspected facilities.. Yep they do, they are called puppy mills. and thier Mantra is the Pet Human Bond. They encourage people to interact with all the animals, hold the hamsters guinea pigs etc. I told them it will bite them.. literally.. first law suit from a parent or first hamster that is killed by dropping.. Petland just opened up here in calif.. its disgusting what that place helps support and how they lie to the public..

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
don't talk to me about parvo... I'm looking at a $1000 vet bill for a 'free' puppy.

Your point... not a given... there are good and bad.

Laura said:
Petland buys puppy mill puppies and sells them to the public. parvo is a big issue as well as genetic issues. poor quality puppies. they start at 800$.. They say they buy from USDA inspected facilities.. Yep they do, they are called puppy mills. and thier Mantra is the Pet Human Bond. They encourage people to interact with all the animals, hold the hamsters guinea pigs etc. I told them it will bite them.. literally.. first law suit from a parent or first hamster that is killed by dropping.. Petland just opened up here in calif.. its disgusting what that place helps support and how they lie to the public..

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
This afternoon, I called back and asked to talk to the store manager. I told her that I bought my tortoise 10 months ago and I wanted to know who is the breeder that way I can call him and know how old is my tortoise. She told me that it is confidential and they dont give that information to the clients. She told me that if the petsore told me my tortoise was 8 months old when I bought him well that is what the breeder told them. It is just weird but, as you said Robyn maybe it is a store policy or maybe it is what you said Ed maybe the breeder does not want to deal with the public. Pebbles mom, same here, If I buy another tortoise, I will buy him or her from a breeder here :). It is not important to me to know Hermy's age but I just wanted to know out of curiosity :)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Age and general information should not be a problem... unless it is a multiple hand exchange. Most shops would provide this if they have access.

Isa said:
This afternoon, I called back and asked to talk to the store manager. I told her that I bought my tortoise 10 months ago and I wanted to know who is the breeder that way I can call him and know how old is my tortoise. She told me that it is confidential and they dont give that information to the clients. She told me that if the petsore told me my tortoise was 8 months old when I bought him well that is what the breeder told them. It is just weird but, as you said Robyn maybe it is a store policy or maybe it is what you said Ed maybe the breeder does not want to deal with the public. Pebbles mom, same here, If I buy another tortoise, I will buy him or her from a breeder here :). It is not important to me to know Hermy's age but I just wanted to know out of curiosity :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ita a given FACT,, not just my point. but this is not the place to argue it.. so end of subject. a sore one at that....

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Ummm... what was the given fact??? I missed that.

Laura said:
Ita a given FACT,, not just my point. but this is not the place to argue it.. so end of subject. a sore one at that....

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
I think the fact is that big money making pet stores are mean, cheap and gready.....?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You've obviously not worked in pet shop or the pet industry...

krissy2288 said:
I think the fact is that big money making pet stores are mean, cheap and gready.....?

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
After reading your post, it sparked me to add a new posting of my own. At PetSmart, they told me my Greek was 6 months-1 year, and was captive bred.

According to the tortoise folk here, my tortoise is actually 5-6 years, and is wild caught. So, thank you for your post.

Evan

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
-EJ said:
You've obviously not worked in pet shop or the pet industry...

krissy2288 said:

nope i havn't, but i was just stating the obviouse point of what they were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.