Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
krissy2288 said:
I think the fact is that big money making pet stores are mean, cheap and gready.....?

Actually, every business is in the business of making money. The bottom line is to show a profit. That doesn't make them mean, cheap and greedy. I have found that you CAN educate the big, money-making pet stores on husbandry for turtles and tortoises. You just have to be humble about it. You can't go in like gang-busters and berate them for the way they sell their product. You go in with your hat in your hand and a supply of care sheets and humbly "sell" your side of the turtle-keeping story. I have made a big difference in the way my Petsmart shows and sells their tortoises. I have lots of cats and spend quite a bit of time at the Petsmart. When I see that they have a new tortoise in their display, I bring them a care sheet for that type of tortoise. If they have three, I bring 3 care sheets. When they realize the care sheet says to use a calcium supplement, a UVB light, etc. they realize they can make even more money than the sale of the animal. If you are humble, they will listen to you.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
BigBiscuit said:
After reading your post, it sparked me to add a new posting of my own. At PetSmart, they told me my Greek was 6 months-1 year, and was captive bred.

According to the tortoise folk here, my tortoise is actually 5-6 years, and is wild caught. So, thank you for your post.

Evan

I guess we are not the only ones in this situation. I dont know why they have to lie about the age. Maybe they dont know and that is what the breeder told them, I dont know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet they're not "lying" as much as they are trying to save face and not have to say, "I don't know."

Its always nice to know your tortoise's age so you can keep a record of growth, etc. So if I were you, I'd amend my thinking and put down on your vital statistics sheet for the tortoise that he is as old as Danny said he thought the tortoise is. Danny is a very good judge of tortoises, and you can trust what he says.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just want to add something. We have a new Petco here, and they sell tortoises, water turtles, etc. ....no puppies..Their enclosures are set up according to each different needs of the tortoise and their water turtle set up is beautiful. Very, very big tank with a floating island in the middle and a UVB, combo ..basking light on top. If you ask them about each tortoise, they seem to know what they are talking about. (I only know about redfoots..so can't dispute them) The Petland Disc. near here also has good set ups for their water turtles. They had a little golden greek tort. for $169. which I thought was a good price...was very tempted...next day it was gone.

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
ya i just siad it because when i went in the petstore over near my house they had alot of baby tortoises and there was one on its back and i told them and they just siad oh ok and we were there for about a half an hour and when we left i checked and they still hadn't helped the tort...it was sad. i guess they just need to hire more experienced people.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
I'll bet they're not "lying" as much as they are trying to save face and not have to say, "I don't know."

Its always nice to know your tortoise's age so you can keep a record of growth, etc. So if I were you, I'd amend my thinking and put down on your vital statistics sheet for the tortoise that he is as old as Danny said he thought the tortoise is. Danny is a very good judge of tortoises, and you can trust what he says.

Yvonne

That is what I did, I changed Hermy's age in his book (I have a book with all the statistics). I know Danny knows everything there is to know about tortoises, if he says Hermy is 3-4 years old well Hermy is 3-4 years old. The age does not matter to me, I am really happy to have Hermy :). You have a good point, they are probably not lying but they just dont know, I have not thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.