Restless tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerafreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln, Ne
My tortoise, Munchie, that I've had for two years now is starting to become restless. Ever since Saturday morning he has been in his bath and digging everwhere. Before this he was doing just fine. I can honestly say that I have never seen him so active within the time I have had him. Is he sick? I can't stop worrying about my little guy...

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Well, I'm no expert, but I've never heard of an INCREASE in activity being a bad thing... It's my understanding that even species that don't hibernate do tend to slow down a bit in winter. Is he housed in a way that his tortoise brain can tell the days are starting to get longer? If you've only had him for 2 years, perhaps the last transition between winter and spring he wasn't this active because he wasn't in good health -- meaning wherever he lived before you wasn't the optimal environment for him. I'm just throwing out ideas, because an increase in activity seems like a good thing, unless you think he might be trying to "go" somewhere to find something he's lacking, like nutrients... or a girlfriend. :)

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Not sure what to think-- Has he been acting sick?-- heavy breathing, bubbles from his nose, unusual urates or feces, eating less? If just more active-- maybe increase in temp-- our guy every few weeks gets very active for a few days then slows back down.

camerafreak

5 Year Member
Lincoln, Ne
I guess I'm used to guinea pigs and hamsters where if they act anywhere out of norm you have to worry. He has been digging all day and probably only stops for 10 minutes. He been doing this since I got home at 5pm last night. Before that he was digging in his water dish. He hasn't had any breathing problems or anything. Hes been completely fine besides this(which you guys say it's a good thing so I guess the besides this isn't exactly true lol). By the way shellysmom, his girlfriend is really his food dish. That might sound disgusting but he loves that thing if you know what I mean lol.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Laura said:
thats what russians do.. drive you crazy trying to escape...

Gahh I'm glad Nelson isn't the only tort who does this! He is SO active!!
I can't wait until it's warmer and I can bring him outside. He's still just a yearling and he's already outgrowing his 4 ft x 2 ft pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.