Calming a restless TGG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Joe, aged 50ish, can't hibernate this year because he was unwell in the spring and hasn't put enough weight on. Normally a 'free range' garden tortoise, the weather is too cold for him to be allowed to stay in the conservatory where he's relatively settled.

Unfortunately, he's fighting fit now... which means he has s e x on the mind and is so restless.

In the 'tortoise table' measuring 6' x 4' he is SO restless. Rocks have had to be replaced with house bricks which he climbs over constantly... he was mating with the rocks constantly.

I'd really rather he spent more time basking and eating, neither of which he's particularly keen on at the moment. Although he does settle down after lights out.

Short of sedation, does anyone have any deas on calming him down. It's only November. Spring and free range outside is a long way off :(

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Lower the temps slightly and less hours of UV should help.
How big is his table? It could be that he needs more space.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
bikerchicspain said:
Lower the temps slightly and less hours of UV should help.
How big is his table? It could be that he needs more space.
His table is 6' x 4', but that's as big as I can fit in my house :( I've given up my dining room for this. The table and chairs are in the garage.

The conservatory (which I can't get hot enough at this time of year) is 21 square yards and he's better, but not brilliant in that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How big is your garage? Is it possible to set him up in a bigger winter space there? With lights and heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.