Respiratory Infection?

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
my Hermann's tortoise has been "squeaking" when he breaths. I have checked his nose, eyes and behind. There is no sign of discharge anywhere. I'm wondering if this is an infection? Should I take him to the vet? What else should I be looking for or what can I do?

L

LasTortugasNinja

Humidity? should be no less than 40%. Looking across the natural home ranges of all the Mediterranean tortoises, they have a winter-spring humidity around 70 to 80% and summer-fall humidity 40-50%. Those ranges can be achieved by daily soakings and an enclosure humidity around 35 or 40%.

Reptiles have a simpler respiratory system compared to mammals, so most issues are either too little or too much humidity. Being that you are in Utah, the same as I am, I'm almost certain its too little humidity. Probably closer to 20%. Do the tortoise and your family a favor and buy a few humidifiers. Bring that humidity up. Homes kept around 30-35% have inhabitants with less colds, migraines, aches, and many other health issues.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I wouldn’t take him to the vet yet. You can bump up the heat a bit (daytime and overnight), give extra soaks (keep water warm) and just keep an eye on him. I have one squeaky tortoise and so far it hasn’t turned into a respiratory infection. He’s been squeaky off and on for the 2 years that I’ve had him. I just take these precautions just in case.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
My tortoise has the same thing. I have also heard that tortoises will squeak and make noises if they are stressed. One of my Russians squeaks a little when he gets soaks and when I put him on the floor.