Respiratory Infection Treatment

casstom702

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I take in rescue tortoises. Unfortunately, Las Vegas has a real issue with backyard breeding and the illegal sale of desert tortoises and sulcatas, so I constantly get tortoises that were improperly cared for and on the verge of death. One of the most common issues I face is respiratory infections. Before I started using this treatment, I was taking the sick tortoises to the vet for injections of antibiotics and a saline flush every third day. This was very expensive and had maybe a 50/60% success rate if they were generally healthy otherwise, for most that were not in good shape, it was around 10%. After doing A LOT of research I decided to try something else and have had amazing results, so I just wanted to share it, maybe it will help save one of your little ones:

I use two medications: Ampicillin or Amoxicillin and Enrofloxacin or Ciprofloxacin
I do four three-day cycles:
Day 1 Cillin
Day 2 Floxacin
Day 3 None

After 12 days of this, I do four, four-day cycles:
Day 1 Cillin
Day 2 None
Day 3 Floxacin
Day 4 None

If it hasn't completely cleared up I do a final round of three, six-day cycles:
Day 1 Cillin
Day 2 None
Day 3 None
Day 4 Floxacin
Day 5 None
Day 6 None

Dosage for both medications:
1 mg per 100 g of body weight mixed with 1 cc of IV saline solution per 1000 g of body weight.

Half of this solution is administered up each nostril using a syringe with a plastic hypodermic needle (this is really a two-person operation). If you can't find a rounded plastic needle, use a nail file to blunt a regular hypodermic needle, but remember to sterilize it.

On days I don't give them medication, I give them a drop or two of food-grade colloidal silver in each nostril.

I administer medication/supplements in the morning and in the late afternoon I put them in a container on my bathroom sink with the shower running all hot without the fan on for 20 mins, after which I suck out mucus with one of those soft rubber things they use on babies.

It's important to keep them in a warm (88 - 92 degrees), dry enclosure isolated from other tortoises. Supplement their food with vitamin powder and a probiotic because the medication is rough on their gut bacteria.

And that's it. Hope this helps someone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How are you getting the medications that are script only from a doc?
I like your way much better than what I have read the vets doing.
The meds is what I think people will have a hard time getting.
Hopefully if members show your treatment plan to a vet, seeing most vets don't have a clue about tortoises anyway, they will just except it and follow it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Half of this solution is administered up each nostril...
This is great info. Thank you for posting.

Question about the above quote: Does this mean that you put half in each nostril, or half in the nostrils and the other half is dosed some other way?

SlowPoke Squad

Indonesia
Hi thank you for the care sheet just wondering is enrofloxacin is safe for them? Cause i have read that it could be harmful for them. Thank you for the guidance

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi thank you for the care sheet just wondering is enrofloxacin is safe for them? Cause i have read that it could be harmful for them. Thank you for the guidance
It may not be safe for leopard tortoises. Some are allergic to it and have died from it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Enrofloxacin is not safe as an injectable. Its okay orally, or in the case of this thread in the nostrils. It has a very basic pH and it causes burns at injection sites.