Rescued Russian

florida1

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Harbor
I would not trust what your vet said. Most tortoises do not close up like ZenHerper said.
Post a pic of your Russian and we will ket you know if it's over weight. If they have the proper size enclosure and temps and diet they do not get fat.

Attachments

• may 2020.JPG
    may 2020.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 5 4 2020.JPG
    5 4 2020.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 16

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does not look over weight too me. His legs look fairly normal. Take a pic from the front when he is out of his soak.

florida1

Palm Harbor
She looks fine to me and is healthy. I have had her over four years. Her shell is chipped as she was attacked by a dog - that is why I have her - the other owner could not keep her. (tThey got her as a baby.) One question I have is why we bathe a tortoise. They are land reptiles - not water turtles. I don't bathe her often and she is fine. I have always wondered about her being outside in the humidity in Florida. I don't see much on that topic and have researched. Why all the bathing? Is the humidity a replacement for the bath? Can anyone explain ?

florida1

Palm Harbor
He does not look over weight too me. His legs look fairly normal. Take a pic from the front when he is out of his soak.
she also eats spring mix and grass, weeds in the yard. I've tried buying other greens and she won't eat.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
She looks fine to me and is healthy. I have had her over four years. Her shell is chipped as she was attacked by a dog - that is why I have her - the other owner could not keep her. (tThey got her as a baby.) One question I have is why we bathe a tortoise. They are land reptiles - not water turtles. I don't bathe her often and she is fine. I have always wondered about her being outside in the humidity in Florida. I don't see much on that topic and have researched. Why all the bathing? Is the humidity a replacement for the bath? Can anyone explain ?
We're "soaking" them mainly to keep them hydrated. When they're ill, not eating, are constipated, have bladder stones, are egg-bound, respiratory infections, soaking them often is a way to get them moving towards better health faster. It's not a cure-all but dehydration in torts causes problems like bladder stones & other issues. Even if your tort doesn't drink, he's still taking in water via his cloaca.

Being a land creature doesn't mean they don't need water.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Noted! Thank you!
This is her water dish I clean/replace daily with spring water. She doesn't always sit in it but once every few days she does on average. She gets soakings regularly as well so I wasn't sure if her sitting in her water was a sign she needed more, but it sounds like she's supposed to sit in her water? Lol.
Thanks again!
I'd say she just finds it a cozy secure spot kind of like a cat finding a box to curl up in. Possible the water is also cooling.

Barbara ONeil

Gravesend
I'd say she just finds it a cozy secure spot kind of like a cat finding a box to curl up in. Possible the water is also cooling.
All creatures have individual likes, preferences and dislikes which are not necessarily the same as other members of their species, just as we humans do. My two spur-thighed tortoises are not at all the same, with very different favourite foods and activities. My cats too have had different ideas from each other.