Rescued Alligator

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Went to help a friend move today and talked him into giving this guy to me. He had been kept in a 30 gallon tank and fed only goldfish. He was planning on keeping it in the closet of his apartment.

I need to find him/her a home. I definately do not have the room for it. So if anyone can house it or knows someone who can, please let me know.

He is fine here for a while, he is in a 75 gallon tank.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208/mandimarie24/DSC00391.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
If I am not mistaken, you need a permit for an alligator. Down here people go to jail for possession without permit!

John

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
If I am not mistaken, you need a permit for an alligator. Down here people go to jail for possession without permit!

you are correct.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Exotics laws vary wildly by state. Here in WY it is legal to purchase/own/sell any non-native reptile without a permit or vet inspection. It would be illegal, however, to release same reptiles.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Edna said:
Exotics laws vary wildly by state. Here in WY it is legal to purchase/own/sell any non-native reptile without a permit or vet inspection. It would be illegal, however, to release same reptiles.

Interesting, I learned something, thank you!

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Here it is a fine, $1000 I think. You can get a permit for them though if you have adequate housing. My uncle had one years ago. Have only been able to find one sanctuary for them and the guy wants $100 donation or he wont take him.

I guess Monday I will call the Humane Society and see if they have anyone I can call.It was either I take it or it would have been in the closest pond tomorrow. I wil find something, just figured I would ask here never know.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Gosh, I wish you the best. Head down to Florida (vacation) and release him down here, I will show you where. The trip can be tax deductable, lol!

I caught one by accident several weeks ago, heck of a time getting him off the hook.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Last I heard...there is no problem owning an alligator in Arizona...so, maybe one of our AZ members can jump on this!

John

5 Year Member
ya know funny thing is,at shows in my area they will have tubs full of these guys for sale and they are fairly cheap,I see alot get sold by the end of the show.I wonder how many people there really are that can house an 8 foot gator?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Anyone whose ever done it will tell you when you raise a gator (literally, an American alligator) from a baby, they imprint on you to a degree and are actually quite docile. You can't say the same for crocs (although again, American crocs and Orinoco crocs are quite mild-mannered compared to others). I took a crack at raising Cuban crocs for a couple years when I worked for a reptile wholesaler...and those things have to be Satan's spawn...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEvil!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
squamata said:
ya know funny thing is,at shows in my area they will have tubs full of these guys for sale and they are fairly cheap,I see alot get sold by the end of the show.I wonder how many people there really are that can house an 8 foot gator?

John, I wonder about that also, could be challenging. I have an alligator snapping turtle that I have had for over seven years now and wonder how am I going to house him in another ten years, lol, I fiqure something out! :D

2mzmp2r.jpg

John

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
squamata said:

John, I wonder about that also, could be challenging. I have an alligator snapping turtle that I have had for over seven years now and wonder how am I going to house him in another ten years, lol, I fiqure something out! :D
p.s. bet the aldabs wouldn't mind a nice mud pond back there either
2mzmp2r.jpg

thats an easy one greg,looks like you may have the space back there so alls ya have too do is get yvonne too come and build ya a nice pond.

godofthelazy

5 Year Member
I am actually in a very similar situation right now too. I have a friend that has a small caiman only about a foot long right now, and hes not sure he wants to keep it, I told him to look around for another option but if he was going to dump it in a lake I would take it. I hope I don't have to though because I am moving 1/2 way across the country and that would be quite annoying to transport an alligator lol.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Alligators are one of the most intelligent reptiles I have ever kept, They do tame down and are easy to care for, even in a colder area of the country.If it wasn't illegal in the MD and VA I would take it.(those days are gone).Also I wouldn't contact the humane society or any gov agency it may only bring you trouble, Me and the state of Maryland had a disagreement about Gators in 1973 I lost some gators (not all) but charges were dropped.Here are a couple pics of my last gator Arthur,as he got older his bellow got louder and traveled farther, it is a sound not heard in the wilds of Maryland so he had to go to keep me out of trouble. Len ------these pic are at least 10 years old--

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I shouldnt have an issue with the humane society fining me, they will prolly refuse to take it. I called them once on an injured turtle and they said they would have nothing to do with it!

I will keep working on it and I will find him a place eventually. Soon i hope cause I had to put him in my 75 gallon, and thats where the beardie hatchlings go! Luckily none are inthe incubator now so he has a little time!

AdamR

5 Year Member
Thats sad that the little one was in such a small enclosure. I too find it interesting that here (central AR) the Fish and Game keep trying to rebuild our alligator populations and yet we can go to shows and buy 30 of them for $100 each??? I actually told a FG guy to come to a show with me and he just laughed and said he'd love to take them all but the state nor government will reimburse them so they don't bother. I personally would love to have one in a pond but.... I don;t have a pond lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.