Rescue from the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
My Russian tort is in his outdoor enclosure and it has started to storm. Lots of rain. It's 72 going to 70. Do I need to bring him in? It means going out in the rain and digging him up but I will if I need to.
Thanks

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Dreamwallaby said:
My Russian tort is in his outdoor enclosure and it has started to storm. Lots of rain. It's 72 going to 70. Do I need to bring him in? It means going out in the rain and digging him up but I will if I need to.
Thanks

If he has someplace he can go where it's dry, those temperatures are a piece of cake for a Russian. That could be a burrow on a slope, or a plastic Dogloo type shelter. But if he's just in exposed level soil, he's going to get wet, and prolonged wetness is not good for them.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
He has a pot that is on its side but he usually burrows next to it instead of in it. It's 1140pm here, suppose to rain for a while. Guess I should go dig him up.

Saved him, he wasn't even buried. He was on the rocks under my roof overhang so he was in the driest spot, but now he is nice and cozy inside :)

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Dreamwallaby said:
He has a pot that is on its side but he usually burrows next to it instead of in it. It's 1140pm here, suppose to rain for a while. Guess I should go dig him up.

If you have a flower pot or a big enough Rubbermaid container, depending on the size of your tort, then you can just go put it halfway in the substrate. For the flower pot lay it down flat not straight up looking to the sky, and same for the container. I would dig him up and put him in it then you don't have to bring him indoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stacey:

I just make sure mine are all inside their dry houses when it rains. If they come back out on their own, I leave them alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.