Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Finally, at long last, we have had a couple of days of rain.:D We have had only two days of rain since last spring, so this was very much needed. I can almost hear my poor anemic weeds breathing a sigh of relief.... I just checked the weather and now that the ground is good and saturated we are going to be have sunny, mid 70's weather for the next few days to power some new growth! Woo hoo!

Remember the flea from the old 70's cartoons? "They'll be food around the corner, food around the corner, for MEEEEE..."

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Good for yall Tom, we are getting rain this afternoon and I bought a bunch of clover seeds but never god a chance to put them down....

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I.m hoping for a little less rain around here this year. 2011 was the rainiest year ever - 66".I was still mowing grass in November.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
yagyujubei said:
I.m hoping for a little less rain around here this year. 2011 was the rainiest year ever - 66".I was still mowing grass in November.

Ditto!

Within the last week we've had freezing rain, sleet, snow and now it's in the 40's and raining! Looks like more freezing rain and snow coming in a few days for us in the Northeast.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom said:
I just checked the weather and now that the ground is good and saturated we are going to be have sunny, mid 70's weather for the next few days to power some new growth! Woo hoo!

Yeah, right! I went in the back yard to dig some dirt to add to the mud pile in front of the horse barn. We had lots of rain, Tom, probably the same storm that you got. Well the moist dirt only goes down about 4", then dry, dry, dry!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Here in the High Desert it rained like 45 minutes ....this time the last three years we were washing away....property flooding....on hands and knees digging out brumating tortoise so they did not wash away as well....so while I know we need the rain....I am kinda enjoying this more traditional California winter.....although I will be watering more than in the last few years...lol:D

Katherine

5 Year Member
Tom I am surprised your property doesn't have a 24/7 huge wet cloud of evaporation hanging above it from all the spraying and soaking and misting, perhaps you need to up your humidity until you have made a dent on the Doppler...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tom I am surprised your property doesn't have a 24/7 huge wet cloud of evaporation hanging above it from all the spraying and soaking and misting, perhaps you need to up your humidity until you have made a dent on the Doppler...
:p:p:p:p:p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Still raining out here, and Rancho Testudo looks like a swamp...here in this part of The Republic, our "soil" is limestone-based clay...drains most poorly! :rolleyes:

Still, we needed some rain... :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
katherine said:

... says the woman from the humid climate who has to do nothing to get good humidity. :D

Our humidity here is barely in the 30's WHILE its raining!!!. Even with the wet ground, humidity was back in the teens here today.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
Within the last week we've had freezing rain, sleet, snow and now it's in the 40's and raining!

Last week, heck that was this afternoon! This weather has been crazy the last month or so.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Annnnd my karma repayment for poking fun at your weather woes??? I just carried three heavy leopard tortoises inside from a completely flooded pen (in torrential downpours during a tornado warning!) Can I borrow some dry dirt from you desert dwellers? Geeez.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Should be a high of 83 degrees here on Thursday:D:D:D:D All the torts will be out. They have been in and wanting to get out and some sun

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It was about 80 here today. The ground in my outdoor baby pen is still wet and only temped at 63, so I just sunned the babies in a black cement mixing tub instead.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
It was about 80 here today. The ground in my outdoor baby pen is still wet and only temped at 63, so I just sunned the babies in a black cement mixing tub instead.

Ya good stuff - I do the same to give them some sun. REAL SUN is just so good for them. Im able to come home for lunch and check on things here and give the youngsters some sun

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Down here In SW Florida we are blessed to have about 5 months of rain every day! most the time it only lasts mins but keeps the torts happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.