RES issues/question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
One of my baby RES has a problem. When it swims it floats. It is like the shell has air in it or something. My 3 other ones are fine, they go to the bottom of the tank and swim around, but this one can't swim down. It tries, but like I said it looks like it has air in it. Does anyone know what might be wrong? The little guy eats and basks just fine.

Since I do not know what is going on with the little guy, I just put it in its own setup. I just saw it looking like it was gasping for air, at least that is what it looked like to me. It was doing it under the heat lamp and while I was holding it in my hand.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In addition to your basking light do you offer a uvb light? What is the food items you feed? How old is this turtle in comparison to the other turtles in the tank? :D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Is the floating balanced or is it cocked to one side significantly? If cocked to one side, it could be a respiratory infection. Some small turtles just do not dive as well at first. I think they swallow air or something. When they seem to figure this out, I see them expel an air bubbles and then they can dive without issue. Is the animal eating readily?

Status
Not open for further replies.