RES won't do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
I have a concerning issue that I need some help with. One of my RESs will not move very much. It will sit on the rock under the basking light and will not move. It just sits there with its eyes closed and its limbs tucked in. It is still breathing, I have been checking every few hours. The little guy will not get off the rock. When I feed the rest of them that are in the tank they will eat, but this one I have to put in the water and most of the time it will not do anything, but float then it will swim back to the rock and stay there.The RES is in a tank with a few other ones that are the same size. The other ones act like normal, swimming around, eating, basking, begging, and jumping off the rock when I get close. I don't know what is wrong with this little guy. I am concerned because I am out of town right now and won't be home for another week. Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long sermon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds like the RES is sick, I suspect a respiratory infection of some sort. lethargic, no appetite, closed eyes, they sound like symptoms to me, do you know if it's eyes are puffy?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
It looks like there is some kind of film on its eyes, at least that is what it looks like to me. I do need to add that it has a bump by its eye and it has bump on one of its legs, too. Also, the little guy is about 1 1/2" long, too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It might also be a case of being a weak feeder, the other stronger turtles eat more than the other one and it just does not eat, can you separate it, and see if it's behavior changes, also keeping it a little warmer won't hurt.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
yes, I can separate it. I keep the temp in the tank they are in right now at about 78-80 degrees

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i would separate it immediately & warm up to about 80-85, and schedule an appt with the vet. These guys can go down rather fast when it comes to respiratory, so better to be safe with a vet checkup.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
If he is constantly basking he could be over heating rather than being to cold, most basking bulbs heat the spot up to 100 or above, although the turtle should go in the water himself when he needs to cool off but with babies sometimes they don't, I hve had this happen with a yellow belly hatchling, I removed him from all light and took some of the water from the tank and him and the water in a bowl, he was belly up I thought he was gone, but then I started to pour cool water on him and he come back

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
at this present moment, I dont have any light on the little guy, but he still sits on that rock all day. It ate when I fed everyone earlier

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I'd go ahead and separate him, he may have something contagious, he may not have anything.. To be safe I'd separate em, put him by his self, keep his water around 80 degrees, allow him to bask but be sure he doesnt over heat.. If being alone and monitored that his temps stay perfect if u dont see a change for the good I'd say he has something and needs vet treatment, my softshell at the moment is basking a bit to much for my comfort, just noticed this am, he was basking and looked very lethargic up there, had to soak him and then perked up, if it continues I'm gonna move him by himself, usually this helps if an illness isn't the problem

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
with mine, it will sit there with its eyes closed and stay under the light all day. I will put it in the water 5-6 times a day, he will not move for a few minutes then it will start swimming around, eat a little and then get right back on the rock.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Sounds sick and not good. I would go to the reptile vet good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.