3 Legged RES, should I keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I was in the back yard and a guy riding a bike rode up with a turtle in his hand, he wanted to know what kind it was.He found it on the road on the Monroe Bay side of town.I told him it was a male RES, when he handed it to me I was shocked at how little it weighed,turned it over and it is missing it's right back leg.It is healed over but still white at the stub so I figured it happened last fall and possibly hasn't eaten well since the injury.No shell damage just no leg anymore.Well anyway it is still here and it wont eat processed foods,but loves thawed bait minnows.I am not sure it will survive back out in the bay unable to swim right. What do you think, keep it confined either here or at the Maryland house, or turn it loose?----- I figure it is about 5+ years old. Len

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If it doesn't have a chance for survival, I would say to keep it. Eventually it will start eating different foods. Awww...keep it Len.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm with Terry.....keep it keep it keep it.....I only say that because it sounds like well you should....keep it :D. Ok, I'll stop....really hard to though...

LindaF

5 Year Member
I vote you should keep it as well. As a handicapped pet, you can make sure he lives a long and happy life.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Keep It. Hooray. :D (and post pics of the little fighter :D)

K

kevincrony

Sky2Mina said:
Keep It. Hooray. :D (and post pics of the little fighter :D)

Nice post!!! Remember the race between Tortoise and Rabbit. All the very best..

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
that jus gives it character,id have had to make room for him if i found,matter fact if it showed up on my step id keep it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Since it is a RES, and keeping it will not harm any wild populations, I say keep it.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I guess I'll be the first to say, that a 3 legged Turtle will have no problems making it.........

It isn't the first, nor will it be the last.......

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have saw a few 3 legged wild turtles and they seemed to survive just fine. I think you would feel better keeping it however and because I don't think it really is needed in any way in the wild, I would vote to keep it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Last summer when I dug out my pond, I adopted out all my RES except for the rejects. I kept one with no nose, and one with three legs (female). She gets around in the pond just fine on three legs. Your male would be ok back in the wild, but if he wasn't eating, it might be that he's an escaped pet and hasn't learned how to fend for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.