RES care question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I recently made a small pond for my RES, they've been living indoors since they were an inch big, they are now 7inches so we decided to make a pond for them. It rained today and I got worried if they can stay out in the rain, is that ok? Will i need to worry about the water temp? We're a tropical country, it's raining right now but the temp is at 75deg.

There's a plant pot on their basking area that they could hide but they are not interested at all.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
They will be fine in the rain. The only reason I would be concerned about the water temp would be if it was a very small pond in which a little rain water or to much sun could change the temperature to quickly. If you have a decent sized pond(100 gallons or more) I'm sure you'll be fine.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They are very durable and can take great differences in temps, if the pond is deep enough put a hide under water. they will use it long before they hide out of water.Len

LindaF

5 Year Member
The only time I have to worry about rain is when too much can cause a flood making the pond overflow. For me if the water gets too high my RES can escape. It was sad last summer when I put them out for the first time. My little beggers I had since babies turned "wild" and thought they didn't need me any more.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You'll be fine. RES are very hardy turtles and I would worry about your water getting too warm before I'd worry about it getting too cold. Especially since your in a tropical country the water should be fine. Just provide the little guys with adequate basking place and they'll do the rest.

Any pictures of your pond setup?

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Pictures will come soon, it's looking very generic right now hee, i'm still decorating :)

Their pond has a "flood hole" - there's a hole right where the water level should be kept so the water will never spill over or go too high that the turtles can escape.

what plants are safe for them? Their pond is made of concrete and i've been looking for something to scatter at the bottom of their pond so it's not all concrete... are colorful marbles or stone used for aquariums ok to use?

If i put plastic lily pads will that be dangerous for them, they might take a bite or something?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RES try and eat everything no plastic plants or if you don't mind losing them you can put real plants in there but they will be eaten. They are also very hardy so there should be no worries about them in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.