RES with Pink Skin

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I've had to move and at my old house, I had my RES in an pond I had dug. Over the last month or so, I've had to keep her is a wading pool, and she wasn't basking as much as she used to. Now I've gotten her into a 300 gallon stock tank, and I noticed she is basking quite a bit, but her skin is a pinkish color. I'd appreciate any information someone might have about this.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Post some pics of the skin your worried about. Maybe @Anthony P will have an idea of what could cause this.
Ditto...photos would help.
Also information about her general health and behavior would useful.
For example, is she feeding well and other than the basking, acting 'normal'?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Also what type filtration you have on the new stock tank. You may have a spike in ammonium/nitrite that is irritating the skin from a new setup. Pictures of the setup and turtle are needed.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Pics speak a thousand words . Really can't help without them .

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I always felt that a certain amount of pinkish skin on the soft parts of Trachemys was perfectly normal, especially when temps were a bit lower than usual. They get a bit rosy in those soft areas, like our cheeks do when we go out in the cold. This is just an observation of mine.

Of course, your definition of pinkish might differ from mine. Photos could tell us if her skin was unhealthy, if it is within normal limits, or if she is septic or something.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I have so much to do right now getting settled into my new house while working full time, I just don't have time to take and figure out how to post pictures. And I'm not too worried because the turtle is basking and eating, so other than the color she seems healthy. It makes sense too, as someone suggested, that the change in water could have had an impact. I know that the water is noticeably different here at the new house.

Another difference is she is right outside my bedroom now and in an above ground tub, so her skin is more in my line of sight. Possibly, she has always had pinkish skin to some degree.

Thank you for your concern.