reptisun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
is the reptisun 5.0 a good uvb light for one side of the tank for hatchlings? what is the best uvb bulb to purchase? she gets time in the yard but i need a bulb that will give her uvb AND heat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do not use a coil type florescent bulb. The tube types are fine.

If your tortoise is getting sun, you really don't need indoor UV, but if you feel you must have it, I prefer mercury vapor bulbs. Or you can use a regular incandescent flood bulb for a basking spot with a long florescent UV tube for light and UV.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
she gets sun, but only about 2 hours, when im out there watching her. so i thought that i'd need a uvb. ok no coil. ill look into getting mercury vapor bulbs. thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
20 minutes of sunshine two or three times a week will prevent MBD. More is better. Two hours a day is great.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hy Tom.... the only type they had at the pet store today WAS one of those curlie-fry ones. That is the one that was in my RT's cage when I got him.... 1. could it have damaged his eyes being in his cage there for three months? also, can you recommend a brand or type? Like I said, Jack's only had the curly ones... I am getting my guys outside every day but I worry about this winter. thx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Theresa Angeletti said:
Hy Tom.... the only type they had at the pet store today WAS one of those curlie-fry ones. That is the one that was in my RT's cage when I got him.... 1. could it have damaged his eyes being in his cage there for three months? also, can you recommend a brand or type? Like I said, Jack's only had the curly ones... I am getting my guys outside every day but I worry about this winter. thx

Not all of the coils bulbs in every situation cause a problem. If your tortoise is acting fine and shows no symptoms of blindness or eye pain, he is probably fine. Your next coil bulb might also be fine, or it might burn his eyes.

For tortoises who need indoor UV, my first choice is MVBs. My second choice would be a long tube type florescent UV bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.