Is this UVB alright for Tallula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I finally found a UVB light for Tallula.....it's the ZooMed ReptiSun 5.0 bulb...I just want to check that it's ok and safe for her :)

M

Maggie Cummings

You live in a part of the country with such strong sunlight, can't you just put her outside for a bit everyday? If you could give her some real sunlight she wouldn't need a UVB light at all. Just put her in some kind of a container and let her have some sun...:)

Stazz

5 Year Member
I do that on weekends Maggs, but I work 9-5, 5days a week...I wish I could leave her in the sun! :D I worry about birds to leave her on the balcony, and her enclosure is a bit heavy to carry inside and out everyday....I must try think of a plan to maybe put her out every day, where she is protected from the birds but then she can get some sun the whole day I'm away. Hmmmmm....It is getting so hot now though, 36/37 C....and we going into a very hot, humid summer, gets up to 55 C and 80% and over humidity !!!! Any suggestions?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If you were going to leave her out in that you'd need some A/C as that's 130F! Eeek.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Yes, A ReptiSun 5.0 bulb is fine, and next to the sun, the best choice! Just my opinion. Just remember, these bulbs do not last forever. Even though they turn on, the UVB degrades to an unusable level after about 10 months!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Sorry to hijack with a question but are "tropical" UVB bulbs okay for torts? Someone gave me a 5.0 17 watt tropical bulb and I used it 3 days and noticed eye issues with Maude. So I removed it. I think it was maybe too close. But I don't know.

Dawna

Stazz

5 Year Member
HAHAHA yup Kate, Tallula will be INSIDE when it gets to that stage...it's already getting to hot me thinks!!! Was 107 F (42C) the other day, and was 86 F (30C) at 9am this morning....so when we move to our new place in August, she'll ONLY be able to go out late September/ early October then, and when Summer comes again she'll be back inside with a UV and heat bulb. By the way, can I use just a NORMAL bulb, like a 100 watt "house" bulb...I found a heat lamp at a pet store but it was EXTREMELY expensive, they're mentally overpriced here!

tortoisenerd said:
If you were going to leave her out in that you'd need some A/C as that's 130F! Eeek.

Haha Yeah definitely !!!! We have some serious A/C at home, already started using it at night! She's isn't in the draft and will make sure she is warm enough right through.

bettinge said:
Yes, A ReptiSun 5.0 bulb is fine, and next to the sun, the best choice! Just my opinion. Just remember, these bulbs do not last forever. Even though they turn on, the UVB degrades to an unusable level after about 10 months!

Thanks Betts, I will make sure we replace the bulb every 8 months or so :)

Oh and, any suggestions on how I can mount the UVB light on the side, where it won't be too close to the ground of Tallula's enclosure?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
galvinkaos said:
Sorry to hijack with a question but are "tropical" UVB bulbs okay for torts? Someone gave me a 5.0 17 watt tropical bulb and I used it 3 days and noticed eye issues with Maude. So I removed it. I think it was maybe too close. But I don't know.

Dawna
Sorry Dawna, I am not famliar with "Tropical" bulbs. I think you are right to remove the bulb if its causing eye issues. Have you ever used the ReptiSun 5.0? Did this have the same effect as the "Tropical" bulb.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
galvinkaos how close did you have the bulb?
Stacy when you can allow her out on the balcony could you get her a rabbit cage? That way the birds can't mess with her and it is light and easy to move.

Stazz

5 Year Member
We actually have a rabbit cage :D From when we first bought her, thats actually a good idea except that it's a bit too small for her, she loves roaming around, she seemed to hate the cage, hmmmm..... 40 C / 104 F is too hot for her now anyway right? So she can only go out in the sun for the day in "Winter" and has to be inside for Summer haha, opposite of most places :p

Nick said to me this morning that when we move into our own place in August (sharing a place with friends) we can move Tallula's enclosure in and out everyday depending on the weatehr, and will just put chicken wire type thing on the top so as to protect from birds :) Such a honey.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
bettinge said:
Sorry Dawna, I am not famliar with "Tropical" bulbs. I think you are right to remove the bulb if its causing eye issues. Have you ever used the ReptiSun 5.0? Did this have the same effect as the "Tropical" bulb.

I don't remember what brand bulb, but it was in a white and green box. I can check next week when I am home. I am on vacation this week.

Crazy1 said:
galvinkaos how close did you have the bulb?

The bulb was about 10 inches. I couldn't find a suggested height and guesstimated based on the 10.0 rec. height. which was 18-20 inches.

Dawna

M

Maggie Cummings

And when you put her outside please make sure she has shade that she can get to and get out of that hot sun.
It's my OPINION that if you can have her out in the sun or sun/shade on weekends for a few hours that's enough UVB. I wouldn't worry about a UVB bulb but that's just me...I don't have any research or anything like that...just my experience in raising them.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Thanks for your OPINION Maggie :p Her enclosure has two storeys (thanks love!), so when she deos need shade, she can go underneath that 2nd story :p She loves sleeping under there too....I have to shine a torch in there to see her haha, buried, happy & warm :D

For the moment, I put her out every wknd, and I sit on our balcony with her - as I said before, it's nice and hot (doesnt get cold here!!), so she chilled out on the tiles in the humidity and nice sun rays :) I can always tell when she's had enough cos she starts RUNNING ! Like literally, she is impossible to put back in her enclosure after being in the sun, SO SO SOOO much energy ! LOL ! I keep her there to run around to let out some energy, AMAZING how fast they are!

M

Maggie Cummings

Stazz said:
Thanks for your OPINION Maggie :p Her enclosure has two storeys (thanks love!), so when she deos need shade, she can go underneath that 2nd story :p She loves sleeping under there too....I have to shine a torch in there to see her haha, buried, happy & warm :D

For the moment, I put her out every wknd, and I sit on our balcony with her - as I said before, it's nice and hot (doesnt get cold here!!), so she chilled out on the tiles in the humidity and nice sun rays :) I can always tell when she's had enough cos she starts RUNNING ! Like literally, she is impossible to put back in her enclosure after being in the sun, SO SO SOOO much energy ! LOL ! I keep her there to run around to let out some energy, AMAZING how fast they are!

well smartass I just wanted you to understand that was my opinion, not researched or anything like that. Just putting my personal experience to some use and my big sister always writes it that way so we all know it's her OPINION and not standard practice...see poopie head?

Stazz

5 Year Member
I see dingle berry :) And I thank you for your opinion :D heehee. I actually agree....the sun is SO strong and SO hot here, I am SURE it is enough for her. She eats like a piglet and is very active and is hydrated and soaked like a spoilt brat, so she is alllll good in my eyes :p

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Stazz,
Would it be possible for you to post your 2-story enclosure pix?
I'd love to reference it for making one. I've seen multi-level ones for other reptiles at a fair. Our DT is not liking the rabbit enclosure either and the home-made play pen is a good size but too shallow; we cannot keep her/him out by her/himself during the day. We just ordered the octagonal shape enclosure on-line--tall but not soo big--you know b/c tortoises like to roam like you said. I'd love to see how you remedied the shade/sun issue w/your 2-story b/c we live in Beach area in CA. It supposed to be in 90's today, plus mine likes to climb, too.

Thanks!
Mado

Stazz

5 Year Member
Here is a pic of her enclosure

n529755760_2822492_4159526.jpg

You would need to make the sides a bit higher though, I don't have a recent pic of the changes we made, but she's never climbed out, can't reach, but just as a precaution we made it a little higher on the 2nd floor. She loves it :) She's hilarious, she pushes the pot (looks like clay pots but they're plastic) down the ramp, and then pushes it back up. Source of fun for her hehe. I'm sure your tort will love it :D The petunia plants are also gone, as she demolished them, completely. Lol. If you want, I can send you the plans via email :) Just pm me and let me know! My man is an interior designer, so he designed it :D

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...for ease of moving inside and out, I made "wheelies" for my indoor enclosures. They are basicly a box made of wood with 4 wheels under it so I can wheel the cart with the enclosure on top in & out without help.
Good luck
Patsy

Stazz

5 Year Member
Patsy that is SOOOOO clever !!!!!! I am going to attach wheelies to Tallula's enclosure :D YAY! Can't believe I never thought of that! hehehe

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'd get the enclosure off the ground because of drafts, it will be warmer off the ground, and easier to reach for you. If you can get a piece of furniture under it (or build something) that is awesome because you also get storage. Trevor is in our dining room on top of a buffet. We custom made his table to fit right on top.

I love the second story! I want to do something like that when he starts to outgrow his space, which is way too much for his size, but he'll need more since he started out with a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.