Reptisun bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I am currently using a reptisun 5.0 uvb tube bulb and it is getting time for me to change it. I got a reptisun 10.0 bulp with the enclosure I got a month ago and was wondering if that would be too strong for her. I dont want to burn her eyes and she seems to be doing great with the 5.0 bulb. I am just nervous about using a higher bulb. Please let me know what everyone thinks. Thank you

RogerTheTortoise

5 Year Member
I just got a 10.0 24 inch bulb. I'm kind of wandering the same thing though. Roger seems to love it. He is going to bed later and getting up earlier, and just soaks it up all day. So far nothing has gone wrong, but I'd rather know if something could happen before it does!! It's about a foot above him.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I have just read so many posts on here about certain bulbs burning the eyes of hatchlings. Just so nerve racking to know something I could do could damage something on her

RogerTheTortoise

5 Year Member
That's what I'm so worried about! He def needs UBV, but I have school and work so I'm not able to take him outside as much as he should. I know the coil bulbs and a def no no..

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I honestly don't think those bulbs will hurt your tortoises eyes at all, as long as they have a place that they can go to have shade so if the little guys do get tired of being in bright simulated sunlight they can just go to the warm shade and nap and chill :)
Thats the new bulb that I got for my Guptas new enclosure but I am going to attach some of those long fake vines all over the top of my enclosure around the lights to create patches of strong sunlight and shade to make it look really natural.
I don't think you should worry if they have a nice dark place to go and escape the light :) I've only heard of powerful MVB bulbs and coil bulbs aggravating tortoises eyes.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Im not concerned about the type just the strength of the bulb. She is doing great with the 5.0 bulb but I realized that I have the 10.0 bulb as a back up. I dont want to use that strength of a bulb if there is a possibility of her eyes getting hurt, plus she does go outside when ever the weather permits it. Thank you for your quick responses

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I have decided to try the 10.0 bulb. Thank you for your help

kevguam

5 Year Member
I'm using a 10.0 on my hatchling and he seems fine I'm going to change it soon anyways with a vapor mercury but ya. Is there a way u can tell if it is hurting them?

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I guess as long as they are eating, moving and their eyes are open. I have an mvb but the enclosure I have makes it too hot for her. I think they work great and wish I could still use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.