Reptile UV Mega Ray Heat Projector (HP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Has anyone used this product? It's available in a 60 watt variety (equal to about a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter) for $19.95 on the Reptile UV website.

I hadn't seen this before today or else I probably would have explored the option as I'm waiting on a web order of a CHE (which for whatever reason has taken about 2 weeks so far). The cost is a little better than a CHE, but it would probably even out with shipping. It has a one year warranty but no exact life estimate.

At only 60 watts, this the most efficient reptile heater in the world. It projects heat in a forward direction only, rather than waste energy by throwing heat in every direction. The Mega-Ray® HP will transmit great heat up to 20 inches from the surface.

The surface of the Mega-Ray® HP only reaches a temperature of approximately 120 degrees - meaning neither you nor your reptile can receive burns from this unit. Even if your reptile accidentally touched the surface, it would sustain NO injuries! Don't try that with a traditional ceramic heat emitter! CHEs are notorious for third degree thermal burns in reptiles.

The Mega-Ray® HP projects a soft penetrating heat where you direct it. Your reptiles will love and actually be drawn to this heat! Used in combination with the Mega-Ray® UVB Flood Lamp, you will create the perfect UVB and heat environment for your reptile.

Sounds like it may save a little energy, be safer, and more direct with the heat. Thoughts?

It almost makes me want to try one now. I wonder if it can be hooked up to a thermostat because that's what I was planning to do with the CHE (have it maintain a certain day and night temperature at the measurement point to keep a gradient with the Mega Ray mercury vapor bulb I already have).

The safety aspect seems more critical for other reptiles like iguanas and those animals who may be able to come in contact with the bulb (by it being placed lower for higher temperatures as well), but I like the idea that it's not so hot to the touch.

Anyone tried this or have more information?

Link to Reptile UV for the HP

Status
Not open for further replies.