Reptichip?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
With Skurt in his new cage we also have new substrate. Coco coir on the bottom 2 inches, and 4 inches of reptichip on top. Previously she was on cypress mulch.

I have another post about a slight congested sound that has developed and I’m wondering if the reptichip is too dusty. My fatty is eating like a pig, active, pooping, bright eyed, mouth closed, and only makes the noise when super active. The humidity is always above 85 in my AP cage and the average temps range from 83-87. Dialed in beautifully. But no matter how much water I add the top layer dries out extremely fast. Has anyone had experience with this substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never found coco chips to be dusty. The slightest amount of moisture should prevent dust.

daniellenc

Maryland
I've never found coco chips to be dusty. The slightest amount of moisture should prevent dust.
It doesn't look dusty to me either, but the only thing that I've changed is the substrate and moved her to the AP cage. The little tank ate an entire scrambled egg, and two piles of greens/weeds her size yesterday. The only time I hear it is while soaking and she is trying to escape, but there never used to be a noise. Now that's shes two I only soak 1-2x per week and she self soaks in her water dish all the time. I'll just keep an eye for now.