Rejecting all his hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
Is it normal for a RT to prefer shoveling his face in a corner or under a rock instead of his hides? My little man has refused both his indoor and outdoor hides seems to have his favorite corners instead. Is that normal?

abclements

5 Year Member
I can't say if this is a normal behavior, but if you're giving him a couple different options in hide choices and climates (esp inside) I don't think this is a major problem. He's comfortable with his corners and on the bright side, you get to see him all the time!

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
My girl Vodka does this, she likes to sleep in a certian corner sometimes. She uses her hide periodically. Just give your boy time, he will use them when he likes. I filled my hide with Timmothy hay so when Vodka buried in the the night she could burrow into it :) Might help him want to use his dry hides.

As long as the option is there, don't worry. Sometimes they like sleeping under the "stars" :)

Might indicate he is comfterable where he is at :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the wild an animal that makes that sort of "hole", is not an animal a tortoise wants to "mess" with. Often it just takes time for them to realize that that animals "burrow" is in fact no longer occupied and the burrow's owner is not coming back. I like to just keep putting them in there. Usually if you put them in there after lights out, they will just stay put. After a couple of weeks of this, many of them will "learn" to trust the burrow and go in on their own.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
yep, just checked on him this morning and he's shoved one of his flower pot hides out of his way to bury his head in the corner. The only time I see him use the hides is when the kids get home from school and come poking around. When it's just him and me he prefers the corner. I guess I understand, sometimes I'd like to crawl in a hide when they get home too :) just kidding.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Lol! That's funny :) my kiddos don't use their hides all the time. There is a hermit crab that shares them too and if the two of my torts can fit in it together they don't want to go in it either...geez

Life is good

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I just let mine sleep where they want when in inside enclosures. They are very determined.
Outside, of course you want them to be secure, so it takes a little persistence to convince them to stay in safe spots/hides, as Tom says.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Oh I've been wondering about this too. Sometimes Gomez and Morticia fall asleep under the stars in their favorite corners instead of in their burrow. I've noticed it happens when I've made some change to the enclosure -- new plants or substrate -- so your theory about learning to 'trust' the hide makes a lot of sense. Morticia did it once when it rained this week, and I decided to bring her inside the house to warm up instead of forcing her into the burrow. But usually I can't decide if I should move them into the burrow or let them be. (I have the same dilemma when my husband falls asleep on the couch in front of ESPN. They look so comfortable, ya know?).

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Daisy used to do that when I first got her, now she never comes out! :) just give it time and it'll get used to it

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think that Joe regards it as his right to sleep where he darn well pleases, regardless of what I think. If he's chosen somewhere really stupid outdoors, I have to wait until he's cooled down a bit before moving him otherwise he will just go straight back.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I have two flower pots on their sides that can be used as hides, and instead of going in the opening, mine burrows under the flower pot. Go figure.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Once they feel safe in their enclosure, I think they are selecting the right combination of temperature and substrate moisture rather than just a safe place to hide.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
What I found is that they like to burrow down into something rather than go straight into a hide so what I did was angle my hides down into the substrate so they get that feeling of going into a burrow. They really seem to like that much better I very rarely will see them digging into a corner or under a flower pot since i started doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.