Reeling the family into "tortoise mania"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
My mom isn't an animal person at all. She likes dogs, and doesn't mind the birds, but the reptiles have always been "my thing" and she's fine to let me "waste my money" on them just as long as snakes aren't involved.

Well apparently Carl has grown on her. I was talking to her about how even though Carl's baby pool is in the dog kennel, birds and rabbits can still get in there. She then completely flabbergasted me by starting to make plans for a pretty elaborate (for her) "cage" that we are going to put around the baby pool, complete with a movable door and everything. :D

Maybe it won't be so hard to talk her into a bigger, permanent enclosure after all. *Evil laugh*

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I remember growing up my Mom was often a bit on the negative side about getting new animals. Then once they were in the home, she would start doing little things for them, saving choice tidbits for them when we would go out to eat, and things like that. Sounds like your Mom is much like that. I am very glad for you!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
She'll come around...I'm sure. My Dad always kept box turtles, and had lots of friends with tortoises. I was little and really didn't appreciate what kind of tortoises they were. After raising 5 boys, who always came home with snakes, and everything else, I just got in the grove too I guess. We have a pac man frog now too. He's so cute.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My mom said "No." to everything. Eventually she'd give in and let me have "one", and pretty soon every wall was lined with whatever I was into at the time. It started with aquariums, first fresh, then salt. Then it became lizards of all types, a few snakes and tortoises...

My poor mother... The things we put each other through...

terryo said:
She'll come around...I'm sure. My Dad always kept box turtles, and had lots of friends with tortoises. I was little and really didn't appreciate what kind of tortoises they were. After raising 5 boys, who always came home with snakes, and everything else, I just got in the grove too I guess. We have a pac man frog now too. He's so cute.

Terry, go wiggle your finger in front of your pac man frog. If he latches on, just leave him and watch him try to swallow all of you. It's hilarious!:D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I'm 19, the last "baby" in the nest of my four sisters, and I am living at home for my first two years of college. So not only does she have to deal with all these animals I keep bringing in, she has to deal with me too :p I keep saying she needs me to stay to take care of my menagerie, she says she's letting me stay so it's less stressful... I think we are both secretly happy that we aren't going to be alone in the world for a couple more years.

Tom said:
Terry, go wiggle your finger in front of your pac man frog. If he latches on, just leave him and watch him try to swallow all of you. It's hilarious!:D

Oh geez

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As a Mom, it's hard to have all your kids leave home, even the "pain in the rear" ones. ;) :D

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
RE: Reeling the family into "tortoise mania"

My parents always went by the motto of if you can get it to eat you can keep it. By that rule I have had an octopus, crow, and a horribly deformed frog. Mostly I would just ferret things out of my yard, or beg them from prawn fishermen. I did however find a scorpion, a really small one, in the garden. He went to live with a entomologist.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That's a good sign! I know how you feel. My dad loves animals, but my mom just...'deals with them'.

They grow on you, though. No matter how hardened you are. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I will occasionally post pictures of Carl on facebook and everyone just loves him. I think it helps that, even if he is "useless" compared to a dog or even our birds, Carl is so flippin' cute. Can't hate something with that face :D

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I think if you weigh it out, a tortoise is a perfect pet.

They are not the hardest to take care of, compared to some other pets. They get to be taken outside and be both outside and indoor pets. (Unless your torts are too big for inside, or you are one of those lucky people who live in AZ or somewhere warm.)

They have a very long life expectancy. They eat a variety of foods that a lot of people have on hand as it is. You get the fun of making their habitats and maintaining them. They have great personalities.

Sure, they aren't furry and generally speaking are not much on cuddling or holding. But you can hand feed them!

All how you look at it. :) I find having a tortoise very rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.