Redfoots vs. Yellowfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brymanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi, I'm new here and planning on getting a tortoise in the next couple of weeks. I've narrowed down my choices to a redfoot or a yellowfoot, but I'm having trouble finding out what the differences between them are (So far I've got: color, face and shell scales, humidity, final size).

I've heard that yellowfoots are more "delicate" but haven't seen a good explanation for what that means. Anyone know? Also, any other differences?

I know this next question is kind of subjective, but I've read that redfoots are among the most personable of tortoises. For those of you multi-species owners, do you find this to be true? How do yellowfoots compare?

Thanks so much!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Personality- I've had a lot of species, and like Red-foots the most. ANY tort can have a great or bland personality, and how they are kept makes a big difference as well. My Reds are usually curious, exploring, and some like to interact with me to some extent (coming for food, etc. My big guy stares at me when I am near the pen.)

Red- vs. Yellow-
Yellows can get quite large, and are considered to be more temp/humidity sensitive, while Reds are more forgiving, especially for beginners. I have not had Yellows, but I hear that they are shyer as well.

My rule of thumb is that if you are getting started with forest tortoises, start with Reds and grow into Yellows, Hinges, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.