Differences between redfoot and yellowfoot? (not physical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I was wondering if anyone could give me some personal opinions on the differences between redfoots and yellowfoots. As in temperment, health, hardienss, etc.

I really like the yellowfoot but I always hear about them not being as good in temperment (more shy) and being more delicate in health. I would like to know if those who keep reds and yellows find that to be true.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well. From all the years of keeping both. The reds in my dealings are more adaptable to a broad spectrum. They don't seem to be affected by levels of humidity fluctuating up and down if kept outside. The Yellows like more low light, more hiding spaces, and much wetter conditions. It also varies hugely on the animal. A WC specimen is going to be set in their ways of where they can from and have a little tougher time adapting. All of my Yellows are WC and thrive just fine in the greenhouse environment during winter and outside during summer. I do notice a less active state in the yellows then the reds when kept outside. They become more active at dark hours of dusk/dawn. Where as the reds are active anytime. The yellows are more aggressive when breeding takes place form my specimens. I had a female get her pre-frontal scales bitten off by a male. More humidity and wetter environments for yellows, higher protein source, and lower light levels is the main differences I notice in keeping large groups of both for many years. They are both fantastic species. Good luck in your decision.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, thanks so much for your input. I of course would get a captive bred young yellow foot if I do get one. Now I know I said I wasn't asking about physical differences, but seeing as you have many adults of both can you tell me the average size of your reds and average size of your yellows.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been taking care of Dr. Cosmonaut's two redfoots for about a year now, plus I have 1.3.2 yellowfooted tortoises of my own. I've had the YF for about 5 or 6 years. There is such a big difference between the two types of tortoise. The RF are always ready to greet me and come running over to me every time they see me, whereas the YF usually either pull into their shells or go running the other way when they see me.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well it depends really. I keep all my animals local specific, so size of each country portrays differently. Northern reds, like Suriname, Guyana are bigger than my Northern Brazilians and Venezuelans. The Bolivian and Paraguayan red foots are going to be the largest of them all. My Brazilian yellow foots are quite large and shaped different. Most of what you will get in the captive bred world of Yellows will be suriname or guyana. They tend to stay watermelon like shaped and grow more elongated than tall and robust like the brazilian I have. Some yellows can stay around 17-19" some can get 38". It has not been proven as to which ones are the massive ones. But most of the largest come out of northern Brazil and Guyana. They are pretty slow growers though. So I wouldnt worry about the massive size they can achieve over a short period like a sulcata.

The large one is a Brazilian. The small one is a Peruvian.
greenhousetorts033_zps85dd302c.jpg

And here are some Guyana
DSC01209_zps267f7f33.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
emysemys said:
I've been taking care of Dr. Cosmonaut's two redfoots for about a year now, plus I have 1.3.2 yellowfooted tortoises of my own. I've had the YF for about 5 or 6 years. There is such a big difference between the two types of tortoise. The RF are always ready to greet me and come running over to me every time they see me, whereas the YF usually either pull into their shells or go running the other way when they see me.
This is what I have heard of them. It is difficult finding the right species of tortoise for me. I of course would like a tortoise that is somewhat social. I would also like a medium sized tortoise (not huge) so even though a sulcata is outgoing it's not for me. I don't know what it is that has always attracted me to the yellowfoot. I admit I am attracted to the way they look....even moreso than the looks of the redfoot. I have also considered the marginated tortoise. I'm sure I would enjoy a redfoot tortoise, but I guess I wanted something a little less common.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
emysemys said:

Oh yeah I never touched on the personality in comparison. This I have to be somewhat similar as Yvonne. The yellows are more self kept and shy. The 2 Peruvians I have are captive bred and they show no signs of shyness. In fact they annoy the others. I say go for a yellow they are awesome.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks for the pictures. They are beautiful!

Richard Gere's Ears

5 Year Member
There are always individuals and exceptions to all the 'rules'. Ive had some shy redfoots that wouldnt eat if i was within a mile.

My adult female yellow is like a dog. She follows me around the house and backyard. She will climb into my lap if im sitting on the floor, and she creeps out strangers by walking up to them and staring at them. Ive had her for years and years, and she has been my measuring stick of turtle personality. Ive yet to meet even a sulcuta that comes close. Im looking into a male for her, and its funny because most yellows are very shy and seem to at best, tolerate humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.