Introducing 2 baby Redfoots

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello TF friends, I have yet another question!! I got my baby Raymond a redfoot back in October who was born around Sep/October and a few weeks ago I got yet another baby tortoise from Vicki of the tortoise yard who was born in December.

Both torts are the same size (despite age), Ray has a clear bill of health and Lizzy from Vicki has been iso'd and who also has a clean bill of health.

I was told it is ok to house 2 redfoots together since they are social species and enjoy a companion and it's always good to keep 2 redfoots together.

Though I have red some much conflicting information...

I hear they can kill each other, bite out eyes, legs, flipping, etc, but then I hear they will be fine with each other.

I don't want 2 tortoise pens, I'd rather either have ray and liz or just ray. I know this sounds mean but when I purchased Liz I thought it was a good idea and so many people have multiple redfoots I thought why not but now I'm terrified...

I was told to slowly introduce them which I have and they could care less about each other, they will follow each other around when out of the bins but I have kept them separate and I really don't want 2 tortoise bins to clean and all of that.

What do I do? Am I taking a risk keeping them together? I don't want to risk anything happening to either tort, Raymond is my heart and soul and I don't want him injured and I don't want Lizzy injured. I want to keep them together but I work all day long and can't watch them.

All they do is sleep so I thought this would be good and just to feed them separate.

I don't know what to do, I don't want the torts to flip each other, kill each other, bite off eyes or legs or toes, I don't know if I should find Liz a home or just keep Ray or what. I'm to nervous to put them together but how do so many other people keep them together with no issues? How common are issues?

Are they ok as babies to be together? I know I can have problems when they mature depending on what sex they turn out to be?? UGH! HELP!

PICTURE (L Ray R is Lizzy)

Attachments

• rayliz2.PNG
    rayliz2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Wow they are pretty!! I'd think problems would start later as they mature. I thought keeping them in threes is better. Though that depends on their sex. I just have one Redfoot so I don't have the experience of others here. Someone with more insight will help you soon. Good luck.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Cute babies you have there :)

Tortoises never really do well in pairs, as they are territorial and typically loners. I THINK the issue is more prominent when they "come of age", hopefully someone more experienced can chime in and clarify that. Like when the male sexually matures, he can really stress out the paired female by trying to mount her all the time. Two males is also pretty risky as they may want to mark their territory as their own. Bullying can occur regardless of sex to show dominance.

There are a few exceptions, I'm sure, but I think the general consensus is to not risk it. A group of reds could work, for example 3 females and 1 male, but I don't think pairs are a good idea.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Take care: one thing I've learnt is that torts like to be alone.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Redfoot do well is small heards. 2 is not recommended. Now you need to go buy a 3rd. Just keep in mind that you need to make sure they don't have to share. Have enough lights and hides that they don't have to compete for the best spots. If you don't have the room for that then cut back to one.
I'm keep 2 Redfoot together but I'm looking for one or two more. They've been together for 6 months or so and are just fine but I want 1 or 2 more.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
A pair is not a good idea. One will become dominant and the other will suffer. Feeding separately may seem easier than separate enclosures but that too will lose its charm...

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
yeah I read "social and fine" too.. not really the case (in my limited experience) These things get pretty big and two separate pens if they don't get along when mature is A LOT of space if you have to overwinter them in your house. A LOT of space.. I'd have one if I had read even one aggressive pair post, but like I said my experience is very limited..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Babies don't get as aggressive as the adults do. Make sure that you have as large an enclosure as you are able to.
Humidity and warmth are the keys for RF babies.
Have a second pen ready as an EMERGENCY pen. I find them helpful for all sorts of issues other than separating my torts. Ants, etc.