Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How many "types" of redfooted tortoises are there? I know there are "cherryheads" and I've heard a few others named by country of origin. Is this kind of like the Boa constrictor thing? Can somebody list all the known types for me please. I'm wanting to get some and having trouble deciding which type to get. Does anyone recommend one type over another? Is it mainly based on looks or personality?

Thanks for the help.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
.....cute little Rudolph noses...???

1CherrySHNOZ.jpg

[ just showin' off TerryO ]

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Notice above.. he's eating the "best" part of the plant!

Smaller "Brazilian" redfoots can be very colorful. Allegra does have some of the prettiest.

This is a little guy about 6" SCL.. making short work of that bloom/stem -

1YoungCHERRY.jpg

NERD

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Thanks, Terry for the compliment. Tom, I vote for cherryheads all the way! Most redfoots are friendly and fun torts. I prefer the cherryheads because they seem to have more attitude. Of course my only comparison has been tallulah who is everyone's sweetheart. But back to the cherryheads, they seem to come in so many degrees of color from yellow/coral to deep red. Here is one of my hatchlings that made it pretty clear on how he felt about my taking photos of him.
P1010034-1.jpg

If you are interested, I have some hold back babies available, you can PM me.

Allegra

PS
In the event we can't keep Boscoe (JRT), you have first dibs. But to be honest it is VERY unlikely that we will ever part with him. :D As a JRT owner you know the charm they have to turn you into their own personal suckers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
allegraf said:
Thanks, Terry for the compliment. Tom, I vote for cherryheads all the way! Most redfoots are friendly and fun torts. I prefer the cherryheads because they seem to have more attitude. Of course my only comparison has been tallulah who is everyone's sweetheart. But back to the cherryheads, they seem to come in so many degrees of color from yellow/coral to deep red. Here is one of my hatchlings that made it pretty clear on how he felt about my taking photos of him.
P1010034-1.jpg

If you are interested, I have some hold back babies available, you can PM me.

Allegra

PS
In the event we can't keep Boscoe (JRT), you have first dibs. But to be honest it is VERY unlikely that we will ever part with him. :D As a JRT owner you know the charm they have to turn you into their own personal suckers.

That is a beautiful baby tortoise!

About the JRT's: My wife is still shocked that I let Emma, our JRT, sleep UNDER the covers with us. The big dogs aren't even allowed ON the bed, unless we call them up for some pettin'. I never want to be with out a JRT for the rest of my life. Or a malinois either, but that's different.

Thanks for the offer, but I've got too many irons in the fire just now. Also, my Gpp's are finally working out for me, so that's going to happen first now. The redfoots will have to remain a longer term goal for me, and I'll have to admire them from afar with all of the pics from you guys for now.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well Tom ... this was always a nice shot of a mixture of " types" of RF's .... in this group there are 4 diff kinds.
eatbest.jpg

and if ya like Red" Screamers! ......Here are 3 different Cherries..Momma, Poppa and a Jr....
FemChrry1.jpg
BIGCHERRY2.jpg
P1010102.jpg

Happy Tort~N
JD~:)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Don't let Allegra fool you. Her JRTs are psychotic maniacs. They scratch my legs to bits every time I go to their house.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Oh, Carl, Boscoe can sense the badness in you!

Status
Not open for further replies.