redfoots vs cherryheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
-EJ said:
They very well might realize. What I don't think they realized is that putting the business on the net attracts all sorts of nuts that lead to nowhere in a business sense.

I wonder how many hunreds of emails they get asking if they can send photos... what is the price of one or two... how do I get them from you to me... ... world wide.

t_mclellan said:
Interesting!
I tried contacting them twice this past year & had no response.
I have the means & ability but I still need to talk to someone before I can do any "KISSING"!

Also,
Carl Tell Joe T. I said hello & I would like to get in touch.

Nuts like me! :D BTW Ed, how many of your 50 did you keep? If I felt confident in being able to sell 25-30 here I might consider it, but I think that it would be a tall task especially with the way that the economy is going.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
It had 60... 13 I kept... 3 died over a 10 year period.

One I sold produced a saga that transpired on another list. It was quite and interesting experience. That male ended up in Hawaii. I regret selling him.

I had the space and the willingness to give it a try. They went quite quickly and I can only recall the ones I personally lost.

I'm lying... a person who purchased a pair from me recently lost the female. They were about 5 inches when they were purchased. They were raised to breeding size... 7 inches... in about 6 years. Some really nice babies were produced.

It is work selling them and you have to deal with some real nuts... BUT... the cool people outnumber the nuts.

Bryan said:
-EJ said:
They very well might realize. What I don't think they realized is that putting the business on the net attracts all sorts of nuts that lead to nowhere in a business sense.

I wonder how many hunreds of emails they get asking if they can send photos... what is the price of one or two... how do I get them from you to me... ... world wide.

t_mclellan said:
Interesting!
I tried contacting them twice this past year & had no response.
I have the means & ability but I still need to talk to someone before I can do any "KISSING"!

Also,
Carl Tell Joe T. I said hello & I would like to get in touch.

Nuts like me! :D BTW Ed, how many of your 50 did you keep? If I felt confident in being able to sell 25-30 here I might consider it, but I think that it would be a tall task especially with the way that the economy is going.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
-EJ said:
Believe it or not it is quite easy to import from that farm. They do have to be willing to sell to you.

I did it as a one shot deal to obtain the group that I have. I have no desire to become an imported.

Current Import/Export License for the US is $100. If the shipment is under $2000 you can clear it yourself.

Once you get the low down it is quite simple but does require some leg work. If you are not near a port of entry you are going to need a broker or be willing to travel to the port of entry. The process can take as long as 6 months... I've done it in as little as 6 days... but that took a huge amount of *** kissing.

See what I mean? That last part is something I refuse to do.
I guess the amount of trouble it is depends on who you are. For EJ it wasn't a big deal. For me it is more hassle than it is worth.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
cdmay said:
-EJ said:
Believe it or not it is quite easy to import from that farm. They do have to be willing to sell to you.

I did it as a one shot deal to obtain the group that I have. I have no desire to become an imported.

Current Import/Export License for the US is $100. If the shipment is under $2000 you can clear it yourself.

Once you get the low down it is quite simple but does require some leg work. If you are not near a port of entry you are going to need a broker or be willing to travel to the port of entry. The process can take as long as 6 months... I've done it in as little as 6 days... but that took a huge amount of *** kissing.

I guess the amount of trouble it is depends on who you are. For EJ it wasn't a big deal. For me it is more hassle than it is worth.

Agreed Carl, however everyone is different. Personally I like to keep my nose my natural skin color instead of *** brown ;)

Not to mention if you want nice Cherryheads you can just hold back some of your own! If I had as many really nice breeders as you do and produced as many nice babies as you did, I wouldn't lift a finger to import any more cherryheads.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
The problem with your logic is how do you know they are true... pure Cherryheads?

It's like trying to pair a lone Greek tortoise you might have... totally impossible with any certainty.

All the breeding projects that I want to keep pure... gotten from a single source... imported by myself... the ONLY way to be sure.

Bryan said:
cdmay said:
-EJ said:

Agreed Carl, however everyone is different. Personally I like to keep my nose my natural skin color instead of *** brown ;)

Not to mention if you want nice Cherryheads you can just hold back some of your own! If I had as many really nice breeders as you do and produced as many nice babies as you did, I wouldn't lift a finger to import any more cherryheads.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
-EJ said:
The problem with your logic is how do you know they are true... pure Cherryheads?

It's like trying to pair a lone Greek tortoise you might have... totally impossible with any certainty.

All the breeding projects that I want to keep pure... gotten from a single source... imported by myself... the ONLY way to be sure.

Bryan said:
cdmay said:
-EJ said:

Good point, however you would need to put trust in the person that you're buying them from. Many people bought wild caught adult cherryheads so that would be good enough for me in terms of pureness. That said, I'd love to see some pics of your adults and juveniles.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Yea... you would have to trust the people you are obtaining them from.

My situation has been bad in the last 3 years... plenty of eggs... no babies. I don't have a problem with that.

I'm really proud and sorry that the person I sold a pair to that I did keep in touch with did raise a questionable pair (I was sure it was a pair but you never know). They produced some fantastic babies. The female recently died eggbound.

You mention the trust thing... I'm seeing most of the current brokers and not being trustworthy... and that only part of the equation... what about the trustworthy seller that really does not know the history of the animals.

Bryan said:
-EJ said:

Bryan said:
cdmay said:
-EJ said:

Good point, however you would need to put trust in the person that you're buying them from. Many people bought wild caught adult cherryheads so that would be good enough for me in terms of pureness. That said, I'd love to see some pics of your adults and juveniles.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
-EJ said:

My situation has been bad in the last 3 years... plenty of eggs... no babies. I don't have a problem with that.

I'm really proud and sorry that the person I sold a pair to that I did keep in touch with did raise a questionable pair (I was sure it was a pair but you never know). They produced some fantastic babies. The female recently died eggbound.

You mention the trust thing... I'm seeing most of the current brokers and not being trustworthy... and that only part of the equation... what about the trustworthy seller that really does not know the history of the animals.

Bryan said:
-EJ said:

Bryan said:
cdmay said:
-EJ said:

Fair enough Ed. Why no babies BTW?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
They just came of age when I moved to Georgia and I found it usually takes a group 2 or 3 years to acclimate.

Also... I'm not seeing them nest so I'm not finding the eggs. I don't know if they were infertile or they were laid so late that they got caught in a freeze before they could develope.

Bryan said:
-EJ said:

Bryan said:
-EJ said:

Bryan said:
cdmay said:
-EJ said:

Bryan

10 Year Member!
-EJ said:
They just came of age when I moved to Georgia and I found it usually takes a group 2 or 3 years to acclimate.

Also... I'm not seeing them nest so I'm not finding the eggs. I don't know if they were infertile or they were laid so late that they got caught in a freeze before they could develope.

Bryan said:
-EJ said:

Bryan said:
-EJ said:

Bryan said:
cdmay said:
-EJ said:

Thanks, please let me know how that's working out for you in the future. Hopefully you start getting viable eggs next season.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My G*d, this seems like it is going on a little long! This is what they make phones for; really, guys come on? Best wishes to all in this Holiday Season. May 2010 be the best year ever for producing really great tortoises!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
elegans said:
My G*d, this seems like it is going on a little long! This is what they make phones for; really, guys come on? Best wishes to all in this Holiday Season. May 2010 be the best year ever for producing really great tortoises!

And in this same vein...why can't anyone delete the previous 30 messages in their posts? Its very hard to wade through all those quoted posts that were already read 10 times!:p

Bryan

10 Year Member!
elegans said:

Why? The 2nd page is what you call "reader friendly" :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.