*I will be HVAC taping the open wire around the heat light and UVB
*Plexiglass will be on top of the other side to hold in heat and humidity

Thoughts?

20231108_154058.jpg

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Did you read this guide? There's very valuable information.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Here's my current redfoot setup. I still have a couple of things to do
*Strip UVB light will be here tomorrow
*I will be HVAC taping the open wire around the heat light and UVB
*Plexiglass will be on top of the other side to hold in heat and humidity

Thoughts?
View attachment 363211
Hello!
1. Moss in the enclosure is a no-go. They can eat it and this will result in impaction. Or they can tangle in it badly.
2. The water dish should be non-glazed, clay or terracota saucer. Anything slippery might result in flipping and drowning.
3. UVB should be place under the plexiglass, just in case.
4. What is the substrate here?

The care sheets in the Redfoots section might have outdated information. E.g. feeding every other day. Please, keep it in mind. Ask if in doubt.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello!
1. Moss in the enclosure is a no-go. They can eat it and this will result in impaction. Or they can tangle in it badly.
2. The water dish should be non-glazed, clay or terracota saucer. Anything slippery might result in flipping and drowning.

The care sheets in the Redfoots section might have outdated information. E.g. feeding every other day. Please, keep it in mind. Ask if in doubt.
Nice job @Alex and the Redfoot

I second these points.

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
Hello!

Thanks!
*I will take the moss out.
*I will change the water dish.
*The UVB strip will be on top or wire.
*It is organic top soil.

COmtnLady

Colorado
It is really hard to keep the humidity at a consistent level with an "open" top. The wire mesh lets the moisture all escape.

What we did when ours was small enough to be in one of those tubs (which I really like, by the way) is cut a hole not quite the size of the light fixture and used actual duct tape (not the plastic versions that don't deal with heat well) to seal around the edges of the reflector/light-cover. That way it kept the humidity in fairly well.

Tubs seal too tightly if the lid is put on the way its supposed to be for storage, so we left the top open while doing soaks so that there was an exchange of air. and sometimes put the lid on with a small space at one end to vent it. That was how we regulated the humidity and made sure the air wasn't "used up" and stale. She would yawn when it started to get stale.

Also, soil, even organic, isn't the best. We've had great success using Coco Coir with a layer of Orchid Bark over it. Get the compressed brick of Coco Coir, its cheaper, and fluffs up HUGE when soaked in water. Wring it out and put a couple inches in the bottom of the tub (when your tort is bigger go deeper) and about the same depth of the ReptiBark/Orchid Bark on top of the Coir. The Coco Coir holds the moisture in to help with humidity, and the Orchid Bark keeps your (VERYCUTE!!!) tortoise on something dry so it doesn't have problems with fungus and such.

P.S.

I like this care sheet better ~

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Agree on changing soil. However mixing substrates is not necessary. Orchid bark keeps humidity just fine.
To make top layer dry and lower layers wet - just pour water in enclosure corners. Spraying it on top doesn't give prolonged effect and wet top layer might result in plastron fungus as have been noted.

COmtnLady

Colorado
It is really hard to keep the humidity at a consistent level with an "open" top. The wire mesh lets the moisture all escape.

What we did when ours was small enough to be in one of those tubs (which I really like, by the way) is cut a hole not quite the size of the light fixture and used actual duct tape (not the plastic versions that don't deal with heat well) to seal around the edges of the reflector/light-cover. That way it kept the humidity in fairly well.

Tubs seal too tightly if the lid is put on the way its supposed to be for storage, so we left the top open while doing soaks so that there was an exchange of air. and sometimes put the lid on with a small space at one end to vent it. That was how we regulated the humidity and made sure the air wasn't "used up" and stale. She would yawn when it started to get stale.

Also, soil, even organic, isn't the best. We've had great success using Coco Coir with a layer of Orchid Bark over it. Get the compressed brick of Coco Coir, its cheaper, and fluffs up HUGE when soaked in water. Wring it out and put a couple inches in the bottom of the tub (when your tort is bigger go deeper) and about the same depth of the ReptiBark/Orchid Bark on top of the Coir. The Coco Coir holds the moisture in to help with humidity, and the Orchid Bark keeps your (VERYCUTE!!!) tortoise on something dry so it doesn't have problems with fungus and such.

P.S.

I like this care sheet better ~

And this care sheet has some flaws (it uses some moss and that's a definite no-no).

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
Agree on changing soil. However mixing substrates is not necessary. Orchid bark keeps humidity just fine.
To make top layer dry and lower layers wet - just pour water in enclosure corners. Spraying it on top doesn't give prolonged effect and wet top layer might result in plastron fungus as have been noted.
I will be hanging the substrate to Orchid bark. Any particular kind or brand? I don't have many options locally so I may need to order online.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I will be hanging the substrate to Orchid bark. Any particular kind or brand? I don't have many options locally so I may need to order online.
Home Depot is where I get mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 2

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
Another question about keeping heat and humidity in. Could I use greenhouse plastic instead of the Plexiglass?

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
So my local home depot does not have that Orchid bark. Would this from Amazon work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109_091134_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_091134_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20231109_091127_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_091127_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
So my local home depot does not have that Orchid bark. Would this from Amazon work?
It's a pine bark, unfortunately. If it's factory treated it might work, if not it might cause irritations, especially in closed chamber. For tortoises the fir bark is a safe choice.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
It's a little more expensive but the pet stores should have reptibark if you can't find the Orchid bark.

COmtnLady

Colorado
The cheaper versions are at Home Depot and some similar places, but until you're comfortable with what works and what you like, go with the expensive kind (the ReptiBark). Check PetsMart before buying from Amazon. A lot of the time PetsMart is as expensive as Amazon, but every once in a while they have some random pretty good sales. Get on their emailing list, and stop in their brick-n-mortar sometimes when you are just passing by (that's when you find sales that they didn't put in the emails).

Also, this isn't like kitty litter or a bird cage. You don't need to change it very often. Daily removal of poo and debris is important, but once its set up let it be unless something weird happens. With Redfoots needing the high humidity once in a while things can get a mildew or a funny smell (its only happened in ours once in several years, so don't worry about it). - you'll know if something is off before long. Right now its all new, but you'll be an old pro in no time!

Last edited:

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Also the pet stores will usually price match with their competitors. So look up prices on all the pet stores.