Redfoot babies outside in So. Calif ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I have two Redfoot babies that live inside and are taken out daily for excercise, sunshine and their meal, and an extra misting.
I live in nice, wam, Southern California.
I know that they can be outside in the day and inside at night.

My question is this: would it be wrong to keep the babies outside in a very safe environment that is averaging 72-74 at night?
They would have suplimental heat and humidity control outside.

I keep their inside enclosure at 80/90 with 70% humidity. The enclosure is almost completely covered.

Both enclosures are good, just windering if outdoors is healthier.

Thank You!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Outside is always better for tortoises providing it is safe and secure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This totally depends where in Southern CA you are. My overnight lows are dropping to the low fifties even though my highs are near 100. There are some very differing environments within SoCal. If you are in the desert I'd say probably not. If you are in one of the beach cities or some parts of OC or SD, then maybe. The deserts have the warmer temps, but the beaches have more humidity. It can be done, but it takes thought and effort. My preference is to bring them in at night, especially when they are small. As adults, many people build elaborate enclosures for them and keep them outside full time very successfully. We have a member named JD who is down toward OC who keeps a whole bunch of them. He has a well landscaped yard for them with lots of plants, and a heated shed with automated misters and heaters. His do fantastically well. I know others who try to keep them outdoors and they don't do too well, because the environment put here is just not right for them.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thank you!
I am in Walnut Calif. Which is in the San Gabriel Valley
Day temps are 95 nights 72.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Walnut is a nice area, you likely could get away with the outdoor set up if you did a heated shed/retreat for them for the cooler evenings....as Tom mentioned, perhaps you can get ahold of JD and ask him some pointers to a successful set up....:D

N2TORTS....is JD's user and you can likely pm him....:D

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
ascott said:
Walnut is a nice area, you likely could get away with the outdoor set up if you did a heated shed/retreat for them for the cooler evenings....as Tom mentioned, perhaps you can get ahold of JD and ask him some pointers to a successful set up....:D

N2TORTS....is JD's user and you can likely pm him....:D

Thanks very much for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.