Red/ yellow purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
So the other day im running craigslist as usual and i find a breeder. Selling his big red foots and big yellow foots 6 of them total 1 m 2 female reds, 1 male 2 female yellows all around 15 inchs big guys/gals. He is asking 750 so that seemed like a awsome deal so i drive to alabama meet this guy and when i see them im in ahhhhh their huge way bigger than i thought they would be so im stoked they all seem pretty active in their tot that he was transporting them in. So i check them out and ask about them. He tells me one has one e

He says one has one eye. Two have always weezed and thats is so i make the deal i get home and left every one in the yard well one of the big yellows doesnt move or anythingnshe wuldnt even stick her head out so this starts to concern me well come to find out two have a major RESPRITORY INFECTION (RI) and shes bad off like really bad so i tried to make a vet app but they cant see me till next tuesday. So im online using youtube to find treatments and i see alot about nebulizing them in a humidifier using f10 sc. Witch i had to order online so ive been running around trying to eas the pour girls pain and the humidifier seems to be doing the trick but she wont eat and wont drink this is the third day and i used a syrnge to put some water in her and some apple sauce just something for her to process and gain energy. S this is very stress full anyone ever had any RI

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Many thing can cause ri like low temperatures ,parasites . When I got my red foot she had ghardia. So I took her to the vet they fixed her up. I would put her in a worm tote and soak her in baby food Like carrots till you can get them to the vet .The ones that look sick need to quarantined from the others. So they don't pass the sickness on to the others.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
That is a shame. If it is a bad RI, it may have progressed to pneumonia and the afflicted animals should probably then see a vet. One of the fluoroquinolones may be ideal for thoroughly knocking that out, depending, but the vet should make the call.

Keep them warm and humid. Feed them whatever they will eat for now, as this is not the time to be a worry wart about an "ideal" diet. Separate the seemingly healthy from the ill. Provide a basin of water for them to sit in and/or drink from.

If you can test them for parasites, do so. As long as some are drinking, I would probably treat anyway with metronidazole and fenbendazole to knock out most of what could be in there. Get the dosage from your vet.

They will probably appreciate a garden mister or sprinkler if you provide one.

Sorry, but I have not dealt extensively with RIs in these two species before, although I have kept many a YF and a handful or two of RFs. The only RI I have dealt with was a recent RF female. She had a retained overcalcified egg and it was really bad. I had to use a high dose of oxytocin and another product to get her to finally pass it. She was very bad after passing it. Very sluggish. Developed RI symptoms over the next few weeks, but nothing super-heavy. Nasal discharge and some lacrymal exudation. No wheezing I could hear. I gently kept her in a planted and shaded area outside with a little sunlight exposure and whatever food she would eat. I did not want to stress her already fragile state with medications that could negatively affect organ function at that time. She would stay in the same spot for days. Eventually she would move a few feet per day here and there. I made sure she was feeding and drinking and she has since made a full recovery and motors around, has received her prophylactic meds mentioned above for protozoa and helminths, and is getting ready for a new owner (who is, of course, fully informed).

Keep up the care and do what you can. If you pull these animals through, you will have a nice group to work with if the sizes mentioned are accurate.

Sprinkles

5 Year Member
You need to call the veterinarian' s office back and tell the receptionist that this qualifies as an emergency. If she doesn't get you in ASAP ask to talk to the vet. Be persistent. I am the practice manager for a veterinary practice, and would never make an animal in this condition wait that long. It's cruel.

Leopards: Sprinkles and Sobe
Redfoot: Tory

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
Well we got into the vet today the doc said this is the worst RI he has ever seen. He put her on baytril oraly and some nasel drips daily . He askes if we wanted to administer it by injection we said no. Bc we have been syrnge feeding her for two days and it would be easy enough for us to do it oraly. So here we go hopefully up hill to recovery then i have another two who have slight RI from same guy im going to treat them first with f10 SC using my nebulizer and see how that goes. I texted the guy and told him whats going on and that i wasnt informed of the tort being this sick and he told me he didnt now it was this bad. Te damn girl wouldnt even move or walk so i call BS and asked him to pay the vet bill of $95 like he said he would and guess what. .......... No reply back some people just shoildnt be allowed to have pets.
Thanks for all the support guys
This makes my new turtle count
8 adult boxies, 5 babies witch hatched this week yeahhhhhh still have 20 more eggs!!!
3 sulcata's one being a rescue deformed who is awsome his name is mcgyver the wife didnt want to play on his disability and call him EGGOR OR QWAZY like i did
9 red foots
3 yellow foots all 16" over the curve and 13" strait line their big ill post pics next time im home ImageUploadedByTortForum1375155867.867665.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375155884.961131.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375155895.607643.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375155913.196125.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Glad to hear you have a good treatment plan in place.

Damn. I have never seen a shell quite like McGuyver's. Igor or Quasimodo would definitely have been a more fitting name.

If the YFs are 13" straight line, then that is the measurement you should go by. Disregard the 16" over the shell. It is not a good type of measurement for accurate size comparisons.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Did they do a fecal? Were hookworms present? As a sort of PSA, I would want that ruled out before venturing barefoot into the enclosure just in case. Larvae may burrow into your skin if present.

Good on you for your continued efforts.

Post the large version of your avatar when you get a chance, please. Your sulcata is very interesting.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375744318.267702.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375744339.212251.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375744349.479208.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375744362.468356.jpg

Crazy looking huh saved him from a pet store along with my first three red foots the red foots have bad pyramiding and the sulcata has been like that since birth but they were in tiny tanks so i bot them all. Cost alot but i didnt want them in a tiny tank lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Very interesting animal. Good on you for taking him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.