Prefrontal scales

jcaporaletti

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
United States
I have seen the topic on prefrontal scales come up several time when talking about identifying red and yellow foots. Most of the time it is said yellows have two scales and reds have one, but all of my reds from Northern decent have two. Does anyone else find this to ring true?image.jpgimage.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the YF tortoise there is no 'spot' right above the nose. Those two scales you're talking about are directly above the nares.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's a red foot. The yellow foots prefrontal scales will start at the nose and go to over or just before the eyes. Looks like the back of a beetle or June bug. I looked for a photo to show, but couldn't find any I took a while back. I will try to take some some new ones and post for yah.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Redfoot below. Notice scale on the tip of the nose...

prefrontalcompare5.jpg

Yellow foot.

prefrontalcompare4.jpg

All have been stumped by that at some point in time :). Yellows always have the doubled prefrontal scutes. Redfoots on the other hand just seems like scrambled mass of whatever came together, haha. Always found it interesting how the yellows never lack the prefrontal's, typical of their species, yet red foot's all vary in that aspect...

jcaporaletti

10 Year Member!
United States
I understand the difference between the two. I think I was a bit unclear. My question is does anyone have red foots from known Northern areas such as Guyana. If so do they always have the two larger prefrontal scales somewhat like a yellow foot? The pictures I posted are of my group that is from Guyana.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
As a rule [ to some configuration or another ] they do have opposing parallel bars on their nose area - not limited to NE South Ameria.. North of the Amazon river.

Such as..

An exception..

And this crazy hatchling!