Red wigglers or European red worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
Which are better?
I've read the red wigglers are toxic and only good as surface dwellers in a compost bin. The European red worms are earth worms closer to night crawlers.
There is a bait store near me with both.
I've tried raising both lat year in a compost bin but this summer was too warm for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're not really toxic, however, because of the medium they're grown in, they're not very palatable. I buy several tubs and toss them into my worm bin. After clean living on my tossed out veggie scraps, coffee grounds and egg shells, they become very good fodder for the box turtles.

You can buy either type, but you turtles will probably eat the European worms more readily.

My worm/compost bin is in deep shade and never gets any direct sunlight at all. It is about 2' diameter and the dirt is about 2' deep. I keep a wet newspaper on the top of the pile, then a piece of plywood on top of that. Never have any trouble keeping the worms alive.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Great. Thanks. I think my bin gets too much sunlight on it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
When my boxies were babies I bought the red wigglers sold at PetSmart. They loved them.

I have heard that many amphibians won't eat red wigglers because they have an offending taste to them. My boxies loved them though, until they got big enough to tackle nightcrawlers.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I just ordered more of each. The worm castings are great for gardening and the worms compost the mess from cleaning several bird cages and aviaries I have.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Hi
where did you order yours and how much are they?
I paid for 12 nightcrawlers $4.50 , and they eat them within 2 days :-/
so if you find a better deal could you please let me know

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I just ordered my red wigglers from Uncle Joes. Our local pet stores can keep worms in stock cause all the fishermen keep buying them! So ill be constructing a worm farm this weekend (something I thought I'd never do..). Maybe I should open a bait shop while I'm at it ;)

mikeh

5 Year Member
When you guys get worms from bait shop or online do u worry about parasites? Anyone know of place to order them where they are raised on clean compost?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Uncle joes are guaranteed "insect/mite free"... So that's why I went with those.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you don't get enough rain, hose your compost down periodically. That'll keep your worms going.

Status
Not open for further replies.