Red foots & sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member
I know my red foots have pyramiding going on but I'm on top of it... At first I thought they were Egyptian! Jp lol

And then there's my heavy duty sulcata!

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Attachments

• image-1884959892.png
    image-1884959892.png
    948 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2561838939.png
    image-2561838939.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • image-3413860273.png
    image-3413860273.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • image-3645365911.png
    image-3645365911.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • image-2225885156.png
    image-2225885156.png
    877.8 KB · Views: 100

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...yes they do...so does your sulcata...what is their diet? And do you provide humidity?

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member
RE: Red foots & sulcata

mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome...yes they do...so does your sulcata...what is their diet? And do you provide humidity?

I spray the substrate daily which has chips of wood inside to keep the humidity levels high. What do you suggest? It's hard to keep it humid because their enclosure is not sealed.

ForeignLuxuries said:
I spray the substrate daily which has chips of wood inside to keep the humidity levels high. What do you suggest? It's hard to keep it humid because their enclosure is not sealed.

Also I feed them lettuce fruits vegetables. I ordered some mazuri for my sulcata so I'm planning on giving them some also.

theelectraco

5 Year Member

ForeignLuxuries said:

Also I feed them lettuce fruits vegetables. I ordered some mazuri for my sulcata so I'm planning on giving them some also.

Could you describe their enclosure? Creating a closed chamber enclosure will keep your humidity levels high for your Redfoots. What specific fruits and vegetables are you using, and for which tortoises, since their diets vary quite a bit.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

ForeignLuxuries said:
mainey34 said:

ForeignLuxuries said:

Do you know what the humidity is? Are they kept indoors or outdoors? What kind of lettuce? Reg. Head lettuce? What kind of fruits? What else if anything are you feeding your sulcata?

theelectraco

5 Year Member

Your Redfoots substrate looks a little dry in some of the pictures, keeping it moist will help a little. What sources of UVB are you using? The Redfoots pyramiding is pretty severe, there's nothing you can do for it now, but I would still modify the enclosure to get the temps and humidity at what they are suppose to be.

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member

theelectraco said:
Your Redfoots substrate looks a little dry in some of the pictures, keeping it moist will help a little. What sources of UVB are you using? The Redfoots pyramiding is pretty severe, there's nothing you can do for it now, but I would still modify the enclosure to get the temps and humidity at what they are suppose to be.

I understand that my red foots are still growing. If I take actions now is there any chance that the pyramiding will get better as they grow bigger?

theelectraco

5 Year Member

How big are they? It's not going to get better but with proper husbandry you can stop it from continuing to worsen. The pyramids won't be as predominant and noticeable once they grow a few inches.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
As i must have done with both my sulcata and my redfoot who both came to me with pyramiding...and this is whai i myself have done and seems to be working quite well, my sulcata is growing pretty smooth now and my redfoot is showing a little bit of change, but its only been 3 months or so...ive made sure they have a good diet with plenty of greens. Make sure they have at least 70% humidity when in their enclosures. I soak them daily. And they get natural sunshine daily. This works for me...

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member

Size1234

theelectraco said:
How big are they? It's not going to get better but with proper husbandry you can stop it from continuing to worsen. The pyramids won't be as predominant and noticeable once they grow a few inches.

Just posted a pix for the size.

theelectraco said:

Pix posted!

Attachments

• image-3434919248.png
    image-3434919248.png
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 87

theelectraco

5 Year Member

They still have a lot of growing to do so with proper care you can hopefully stop the pyramiding, and as they grow it will be less noticeable. What are your UVB sources for both enclosures?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
One of them looks like it has some issues with possible MBD...you need to make sure you feed calcium enriched greens. Plenty of sunshine and cuttle bone. Have you made an appt with a vet yet? I suggest you do. There may be underlying problems like kidney issues...

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member

mainey34 said:
One of them looks like it has some issues with possible MBD...you need to make sure you feed calcium enriched greens. Plenty of sunshine and cuttle bone. Have you made an appt with a vet yet? I suggest you do. There may be underlying problems like kidney issues...

Ya, it's not that extreme. These guys climb over themselves, flip themselves back over and they are always active. They eat and **** all day. I took them to the vet about 4 months ago she said they were fine other then the pyramiding. I'm going to make a couple of changes and they will be just fine.

theelectraco

5 Year Member

ForeignLuxuries said:
Ya, it's not that extreme. These guys climb over themselves, flip themselves back over and they are always active. They eat and **** all day. I took them to the vet about 4 months ago she said they were fine other then the pyramiding. I'm going to make a couple of changes and they will be just fine.

I've already asked twice and nothing was answered, what source of UVB are you using? Your enclosures didn't seem to have too many light fixtures, so unless they are MVP I'm assuming there isn't one?

theelectraco said:
I've already asked twice and nothing was answered, what source of UVB are you using? Your enclosures didn't seem to have too many light fixtures, so unless they are MVP I'm assuming there isn't one?

MVB *

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member

theelectraco said:

MVB *

PowerSun UV 160w is what I'm using

theelectraco

5 Year Member

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I would also do what mainey34 suggested and start giving them daily natural sunlight when the temps are right outside.

ForeignLuxuries

5 Year Member

mainey34 said:
Might i ask what changes you are going to make ?

I'm going to make them something nice. I'll post up pictures when I finish. I'm going to add a fogger and much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.