A herd of Red/Yellow-Foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
I am posting these in good faith I hope noone has anything unpositive to say I have moved to a 3rd world country and upon going for a walk the day before yesterday I came across a yard with many beautiful red-foots.. I marveled in how healthy they all were and how active etc.
The family had dogs and when the dogs rushed the fence so did the torts...
I have never seen anything like this and thought it just awesome...
The lowest numbered one we saw was 2, and the highest 23!

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did, since i've never seen such big red-foots in real life.. The yard was huge through the gate is a whole other field which has a few in too but they mainly liked hanging with the dogs at the front and near the pool...
IMG_7779p-vi.jpg

IMG_7776p-vi.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That is really neat! On another board, there was a lady from St. John's and had some redfoots as well. They would wander in and out of her yard. It is my understanding that they were originally brought on ships as food and when the sailors would find land and fresh supplies they would let the torts (that they did not eat) go. As a result, there are redfoots throughout most of the islands in the Caribbean. Thanks for the pictures. They all look like redfoots to me.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
I have recently been reading about them being introduced to the Caribbean but wasn't sure why, that's interesting.
Well from the ones i've seen so far they are thriving!
Will have to take a good look around St Johns and keep an eye out next time i'm in town.. haha

allegraf said:
That is really neat! On another board, there was a lady from St. John's and had some redfoots as well. They would wander in and out of her yard. It is my understanding that they were originally brought on ships as food and when the sailors would find land and fresh supplies they would let the torts (that they did not eat) go. As a result, there are redfoots throughout most of the islands in the Caribbean. Thanks for the pictures. They all look like redfoots to me.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
That's such a cool thing that they're there. I looked into moving to the caribbean for quite a while (it's still an option, but not as likely any more) and found out about the redfoots on Grenada. I had no idea that they were on the other islands as well.

Real pretty orange-all-over colorings. I'd still love to get a Grenadan redfoot someday...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That's funny. It actually sounds like they take on the personalities of the dogs. Little protectors. They are pretty good sized. Where did you go to?

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Candy said:
That's funny. It actually sounds like they take on the personalities of the dogs. Little protectors. They are pretty good sized. Where did you go to?

Candy, a couple of them were quite boisterous around the dogs.. lol

I moved to Antigua in March, I need to change my signature though as I sold Olive and all her belongings along with everything else before we left she went to a great home though.
We have an Antiguan Red-Foot now about the same size as Olive was. :D

I am obsessed with those red-foots in the yard I cant' wait to go walk past again.. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.