Red footed tortoise

Rcavende73

Location (City and/or State)
DALLAS
Lol. Mine dumps out all his water even in his little pool. I thought maybe that is his way of saying he needs more space.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
well one thing I can say is that my tortoise liked to rearrange things in her smaller, older enclosure and in her larger, new one. The only difference is that she no longer tries to escape by climbing the walls. I think rearrangement does not indicate discontent

Rcavende73

DALLAS
He runs into the glass, very noisy, he does not have much grace. Falls off his hut and gets stuck on his side.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Curious How old is he or she? Mine is about 8 months and he is so lazy! really only eats and then goes back to hide. Looking forward to seeing some of this more active behavior.

sheldo

hawaii
My red footed tortoise likes to rearrange his habitat. Is that normal?
that is pretty normal I would say my red footed tortoise sheldo does the same thing with his sand he like to make holes and hills don't know why but he likes it.

sheldo

hawaii
I do not know how old he is. Is there a way to tell?
I do not know how to accurately tell but my friend is a big turtle/tortoise owner and has many tortoises including red footed she can tell their age by the amount of the little lines on their shell kinda like a tree how you can tell its age by the amount of rings.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It sounds like you need to revamp your enclosure and take out anything that's not necessarily.
Tortoises don't appreciate aesthetics like we do. And a lot of that clutter just causes issues like flipping. ESPECIALLY if it's taking up real estate in an enclosure that's already too small.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I do not know how to accurately tell but my friend is a big turtle/tortoise owner and has many tortoises including red footed she can tell their age by the amount of the little lines on their shell kinda like a tree how you can tell its age by the amount of rings.
That's simply not how that works. But don't tell your friend if she thinks she's correct. It's not worth the argument.
I actually got a little chuckle out of that.
Thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I do not know how old he is. Is there a way to tell?
We can give you an educated guess based on size and how he/she has been raised.
Several things can accelerate or slow down growing. There is no science behind telling a tortoises exact age. But small, young tortoises are easier to guess.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
that is pretty normal I would say my red footed tortoise sheldo does the same thing with his sand he like to make holes and hills don't know why but he likes it.
We need to get your enclosure squared away.
You should not be using sand at all.
I've sent you some information in your post about your enclosure.
And a link to read.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I hate to tell you this...but you cannot tell a tortoise's age by the growth rings like on a tree. Simply cannot

sheldo

hawaii
I hate to tell you this...but you cannot tell a tortoise's age by the growth rings like on a tree. Simply cannot
ok I heard it from a friend I wasnt sure about it though thanks for the correction.

sheldo

hawaii
We need to get your enclosure squared away.
You should not be using sand at all.
I've sent you some information in your post about your enclosure.
And a link to read.

ok thanks man