Red footed tortoise

Lorenzboy11

Hello, I am interested in buying a red footed tortoise that is four years old and this lady would like to sell it with everything she needs I was wondering how much I should pay for it

Lorenzboy11

She comes with her water dish,heat pad, light (it needs a new bulb), and her terrarium is 18"x3'. She is out a lot because it is getting too small.

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
She comes with her water dish,heat pad, light (it needs a new bulb), and her terrarium is 18"x3'. She is out a lot because it is getting too small.
heat pad you don't need, water dish you can get at Home Depot. Terrarium is too small so it would be taking up space. The light is really the only thing I'd get along with the RF. also please read the beginners mistakes thread!

Welcome to the forum from Texas!

Lorenzboy11

Thank you! Could you give me a good price range to pay for it she wants $600 Canadian

Last edited:

Lorenzboy11

Yes we do and thanks I'll take a look on there and I bet they are my favorite animal iv wanted one since I could remember but pet shops can't sell them here in Alberta

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
In Canada, $600 is a good deal with the equipment (even though it's not all going to be useful), assuming the tortoise is in good health. The cheapest you'll see hatchlings is generally $300. Older red footed tortoises can range up to $1000 depending on the colouration. I would not recommend paying more than $600 unless it was for a truly spectacular animal. There is some price variation with province and city, so checking out tortoises on kijiji in your area should give you a sense. It wouldn't be weird to pay in Toronto, but I'd only pay it for an animal in good shape.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bear in mind you'll probably have to sell some of the stuff the tortoise comes with as it won't be the right things or maybe too small.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I wasn't aware that they were hard to come by in Canada.
Rarity would affect the price as well as explain why they can be found so cheaply here.

Since we haven't allowed wild caught animals into the country for several decades, we're reliant on captive breeders who have a small animal pool to work with. That, plus a less than ideal climate, means even 'common' tortoise species are available in smaller numbers and usually two to three times the US price.

Lorenzboy11

Ok so I got the tortoise and I was wondering what the best way would be to set up her enclosure I have a heating pad under the box (home for now) with his dish of food beside it I also have is water dish/ drinking water across form it with shavings for her ground this is all I have right now I will be getting new and better stuff tomorrow any ideas

Attachments

• 1480486526172-1023990296.jpg
    1480486526172-1023990296.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
O.K. first. get rid of the pine shavings.
Use Orchid bark and dampen it.
Secondly, the water bowl is both too small and is the wrong diameter for a tortoise that size. Get one that is large enough and shallow enough for the tortoise to be able to climb inside. maybe a large plant saucer for now.
Third, lets see what type of light that is. Is it for heat or UVA? You'll need both.
And then, as you already know, that tank is a tiny torture chamber for that tortoise.
He requires at a minimum a 6' by 6' space.
Mine at that size are outside and living in a huge area. You must do whatever you can to make as much room as you can.
Do you have space for one of those large, round, inexpensive "kiddie" pools?
And diet. What are you feeding?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok thanks and tomatoes, mushrooms, and lettuce stuff like that
No iceberg lettuce. But, yes.
Redfoot eat a very large variety of things from fruits to vegetable matter, leaves, flowers and even dead animals off of the jungle/forest floor. They are natures vacuum cleaner.
We are very fortunate that we have so much that we can offer. Mix it up and feed something different every now and then.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Ok thanks and tomatoes, mushrooms, and lettuce stuff like that
Try not to feed tomatoes too often, it gives them the runs. See if you can get a CHE (Ceramic heat emitter).
A lot of this info is probably very overwhelming. I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY! Get a note book and start writing things down. You won't be able to remember everything... cute tort btw :)