Red Foot hurt leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnygold12

5 Year Member
Hello all, one of my red foots, named Testudo, recently hurt his leg while outside in his enclosure. The other red foot attempted to turn him over, he did not get turned but afterward seemed to have a problem with his right rear leg. I monitored him for a day now and he still is not using that leg, it is out to the right of his shell instead of behind to the rear when he's walking. I'm wondering if he didn't dislocate something when he stretched to stop from being flipped. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Johnny, and welcome to the Forum!!

It sounds like it would be a good idea to take this tortoise to a vet ASAP. If it is out of the socket, the longer it stays out the harder it will be to make it stay back in.

johnnygold12

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Can you post a pic.

he is moving around almost with a noticable limp. when I pick him up he stretches his left leg out but not his right leg. Something definatley wrong. In the pic, he usually stretches both legs out behind him, as you can see the right leg is not stretched out

Attachments

• 2013-04-14 19.13.02.jpg
    2013-04-14 19.13.02.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome ,and take your tortoise to a vet .

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Based on the one photo, there is nothing to help us diagnose it. It is a older tortoise with significant pyramiding, so there may be some bone issues related to poor diet, which increases the odds of a fracture or dislocation.

The dryness of the skin suggests there may be some dehydration as well.

There are articles in the Library at my link below that may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.