Red foot biting

Luke_SL

Location (City and/or State)
Wakefield
Hey guys I have an issue with my redfoots. I hope it’s a small issue and able to be fixed however I’m unsure. I’ve got 3 red foots and the smallest of the lot seems to be trying to bite the others at every opportunity he is given. He seems to go behind them and bite their legs and shell. Why is he doing this? Is it normal? Should I be worried? Is it the way he’s wired up? It doesn’t make sense because any other time they seem happy! But when there is a tortoise in his path he try’s to bite them! As see. In photo, eating together with no issues. And then the second photo is the culprit biting the others. If I need to get rid of him, I’d rather sell him now than keep him and risk the health of my other torts as they could get injured when he’s bigger. I only thought aggression was bad in Testudo species but I’ve seen it in this little guy!

Attachments

• C1816C92-860A-42F9-AC72-F497EE8F2BFB.jpeg
    C1816C92-860A-42F9-AC72-F497EE8F2BFB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • D9DF8BC1-23F3-48F9-9CD1-23905696A054.jpeg
    D9DF8BC1-23F3-48F9-9CD1-23905696A054.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red foot tortoises are generally less prone to this than some other species, but I've seen a few notable exceptions over the years.

You need to separate them. And you don't want a pair either, so it looks like three enclosures for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As Tom said.
Even Redfoot aren't exempt from that rule.
Unfortunately even mild bullying can be very stressful to all tortoises involved.
Sickness can result from stress.
Even if you had a harmonious group, you'd need a couple of hundred square feet for 3 adults.
And pairs do not work. Not even for most Redfoot.

Luke_SL

Wakefield
Ahhh fun fun fun!!! Thanks guys. I guess that’s a project for me to do in lockdown!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There's always one jerk in the crowd.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
And on another note: are the back feet, butt or tails of your other babies especially colorful. Perhaps like a favorite food color? Try some food of this color and see if this little guy really goes for it. It may be as simple as that?
He might be perfectly innocent?.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Hey guys I have an issue with my redfoots. I hope it’s a small issue and able to be fixed however I’m unsure. I’ve got 3 red foots and the smallest of the lot seems to be trying to bite the others at every opportunity he is given. He seems to go behind them and bite their legs and shell. Why is he doing this? Is it normal? Should I be worried? Is it the way he’s wired up? It doesn’t make sense because any other time they seem happy! But when there is a tortoise in his path he try’s to bite them! As see. In photo, eating together with no issues. And then the second photo is the culprit biting the others. If I need to get rid of him, I’d rather sell him now than keep him and risk the health of my other torts as they could get injured when he’s bigger. I only thought aggression was bad in Testudo species but I’ve seen it in this little guy!

Second picture only shows one tortoise?