horsfield biting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
ok, so one of my tortoises has been biting the other, not that frequent, and generally not that bad, mostly getting shell.
But to day the littler one had a small cut on her head (am guessing a bite).
will I definatly need to separate them or is there hope of this getting better?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Horsfields are solitary in the wild and don't generally share nicely. They don't need or want company.

Please don't let the smaller one suffer further and separate them. Things are unlikely to improve and could get a lot worse.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Don't worry I wont let her suffer! has been doing fine till today, but will get her a table of her own I think!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Things don't usually get better....I too would set up a second enclosure...I know we just wish they would get along...but they don't ration in the same way we do...:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Soak the little one and if you need to use a qtip and soak it in warm water and rub it on the area...and just essentially keep it clean and it should heal...now you are not talking about a big chunk missing right...?:D

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
No, tiny like a millimeter at most!
cool thanks I will do that, I did wipe it with a cotton bud at the time

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spring is in the air....

All the Russians are having at each other....

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
So, not a problem? They are only little (Amber), small one 7cm bigger one 7.5cm (Misha) (its the bigger one being mean)
I also now think that Misha is a boy and Amber is a girl...
I have separated them for now (temp measure of splitting the 4 foot table in half)
Misha is still happy but Amber wants to be over with Misha...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If I am reading cm to inches correctly..you are saying one tort is just under 3 inches and the other is a little over 3 inches? Is this correct? If yes, there is not much chance that their sexes are visually able to be determined by the naked eye...however they certainly already know what one another is....at that size it is not possible to know their sex by looking at them...
:D
What leads you to believe that the bullied one is wanting to be back with the one bullying?

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
ascott said:
If I am reading cm to inches correctly..you are saying one tort is just under 3 inches and the other is a little over 3 inches? Is this correct? If yes, there is not much chance that their sexes are visually able to be determined by the naked eye...however they certainly already know what one another is....at that size it is not possible to know their sex by looking at them...
:D
What leads you to believe that the bullied one is wanting to be back with the one bullying?

I am not certain about the sexes, just guesses really.

she keeps trying to get over to the other side, also liked to follow Misha a bit when they were together...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hmmmm well let's look at the behavior a different way....okay :D

So you start out with one enclosure..they begin to get use to it and begin to settle in
Now that the stress level is going down you begin to see their personalities...the bigger ones begins to bump and nip at the smaller one...nothing personal at all, just a tortoise being a tortoise.. so you separate by placing a dividerinto the enclosure and place one on either side...so here is where I request you to look at this behavior differently;

A change has occurred..a barrier is suddenly in place which to a tortoise naturally become a quest to get through or over or around it--nothing to do with the tortoise having a longing to be in the company of the other tort....also, now they have their space and the littler one is feeling less of a threat and is now going to likely be more outgoing you will begin to see different confident behavior....

Sometimes humans have a hard time understanding and believing that reptiles do not humanize their behaviors..however we do....so sometimes if we try to separate the human emotion from the actual raw behavior....and while I do humanize some behaviors I do this strictly for fun and totally understand that I am doing it.....:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with ascott. The attempt to get through the barrier is most likely because the barrier didn't used to be there, not because she wants company.

Now she's not being hassled she wants all the table! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.