Red and Yellows Cohabitating?

KTyne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chilliwack, BC
Hi guys!

So I have been seriously considering getting a Yellow Foot Tortoise and I think they are just gorgeous and under appreciated (especially in Canada where you NEVER see them).

Anyways, my question is, is would I be able to cohabitate my Cherry Head and Yellow Foot? This would be after quarantine for the new guy, obviously, and with a large enough enclosure.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I guess that depends upon your definition of "cohabitate". They can coexist in the same enclosure. As far as the 'deeper' meaning of cohabitate, me thinks not.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
from what i've read it wouldn't be a good idea they can mate and produce a hybrid but they're matign ritual's differ and yellow foots tend to me a little more aggressive then reds

Turtlepete

South Florida
Considering they come from the same range, the risk of disease should be removed. Yellowfoots may tend to be more aggressive and and it is not unlikely you will end up with big issues of aggression down the line. You could probably get away with housing them together for a couple of years, while they are young. Same diet and environmental needs...

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I've just seen a lot of people keep colonies of Reds and Yellows together (as adults) which is why I'm wondering how successful that is? I would only have them live together if they were both female and not able to mate.
I think I may hold off on getting another tortoise for a while though, as I thought about it and if the two tortoises didn't get along, I wouldn't have room for another separate enclosure once we move.
But any info on housing these guys together from people that have or do would be great for the future!