Red and Yellow

Volksdaven

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto, CA
Hey there,
Possible new owner here. (Still contemplating). Quick question, can a yellow foot and red foot be housed together? I see it with babies, but adults are always in separate enclosures. Also, I am in CenCal. Any local sellers out there that need some business?
Thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should never be mixed, and tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

Also, neither of those species will do well in your climate. Too hot and dry. They need humidity. They do best when kept in the south eastern US.

Hello and welcome!

Volksdaven

Modesto, CA
Species should never be mixed, and tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

Also, neither of those species will do well in your climate. Too hot and dry. They need humidity. They do best when kept in the south eastern US.

Hello and welcome!
I also see multiple videos on multiple (same species) torts housed together, (ie; Kamp Kennan Tortoise Town) all cohabitating into one box. So being new, I am confused. Any suggestions for a medium size tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also see multiple videos on multiple (same species) torts housed together, (ie; Kamp Kennan Tortoise Town) all cohabitating into one box. So being new, I am confused. Any suggestions for a medium size tort?
Kenan means well, but does not set a good example or give good advice. TT has a terrible reputation and is not a good source of info.

Groups of same species juveniles can usually work, and groups of adults can sometimes work. I said pairs don't work.

Its a good thing you found us!

Volksdaven

Modesto, CA
Kenan means well, but does not set a good example or give good advice. TT has a terrible reputation and is not a good source of info.

Groups of same species juveniles can usually work, and groups of adults can sometimes work. I said pairs don't work.

Its a good thing you found us!
Gotcha. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live in Clovis, probably the same climate as yours. I keep YF tortoises and used to also keep RF tortoises (in separate yards, of course). The way I make it work is to have them in a "rain forest" type yard. There is hardly any full sun in the yard, very well planted with trees and shrubs, and I have misters on drip pipe which is mounted up high at the tops of T-posts. I turn it on every afternoon for them.

Rain Forest 04-27-14 b.jpgRain forest 6-11-15 a.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
Redfoot come in Red, Orange and Yellow scale coloration if you find yourself in a position to keep a bunch of them one day and want different colors.
(True Yellowfoot are a different specoes)

Volksdaven

Modesto, CA
I live in Clovis, probably the same climate as yours. I keep YF tortoises and used to also keep RF tortoises (in separate yards, of course). The way I make it work is to have them in a "rain forest" type yard. There is hardly any full sun in the yard, very well planted with trees and shrubs, and I have misters on drip pipe which is mounted up high at the tops of T-posts. I turn it on every afternoon for them.

View attachment 304126View attachment 304127
I like that set up. Thanks.