Can yellow foots live with red foots?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hey everyone. As some of you may know, I recently purchased a baby red foot. I am thinking about adding another tortoise to my little colony :p. Would it be safe for a red foot hatchling to live with a yellow foot hatchling? I've heard they had similar care. Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They really are different species and come from different regions and could have very different pathogens, etc.
If you DO purchase a Yellow, make sure you have a separate enclosure for a quarantine period. Treat it as if it were any other type of tortoise.
All that aside, I think that in a perfect world an adult Redfoot and an adult Yellowfoot could and probably would be O.K. together if kept outdoors and in a very large pen with a tropical environment....Say like in Florida.
Mind you, I have never tried this. I'm just theorizing.

BaconandEggs

Northern California
I have an RF and YF that I bought just a few months apart - I have them together at night when they go into their night enclosure to sleep. I noticed that my RF was being a food and water hog and was generally a bully to my YF. So I decided on a little separation until they are older - that being said, just last night I brought them both inside and the RF was screwing around on a log and flipped himself over. After a few minutes of just sitting there (waiting for me) I noticed my YF walked over to him, scooted her butt up against him and did the butt dance until he flipped back over, then she went back to her hiding/sleep hole.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I have an RF and YF that I bought just a few months apart - I have them together at night when they go into their night enclosure to sleep. I noticed that my RF was being a food and water hog and was generally a bully to my YF. So I decided on a little separation until they are older - that being said, just last night I brought them both inside and the RF was screwing around on a log and flipped himself over. After a few minutes of just sitting there (waiting for me) I noticed my YF walked over to him, scooted her butt up against him and did the butt dance until he flipped back over, then she went back to her hiding/sleep hole.
Aw. So even though he was being a jerk hogging things, she went over and helped him. How sweet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think you are right. I'll add another red foot. Better safe than sorry. Plus, red foots are adorable :D
Redfoot do well either alone or in colonies. (more than two)
The thing is that with my limited experience on Yellowfoot, would the Redfoot and Yellowfoot ever be a colony?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
From what I've read, yellowfoot males can get very territorial and they also grow to be larger than red foots. I would think its okay to house them together while little, but as they mature I would think separation is necessary.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
From what I've read, yellowfoot males can get very territorial and they also grow to be larger than red foots. I would think its okay to house them together while little, but as they mature I would think separation is necessary.
See? I didn't even know that. Thanks.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The joys of the tortoise forum.
From what I've been told male yellows are very territorial. 2 male yellows shouldn't be together without a vast area, yellows in general are more aggressive than reds, I could have had yellows with my reds and decided not too, because of some advise I received. I'm seriously considering splitting my northern reds from my cherries too. I'm convinced the northerns dominate cherries. Maybe wrong and it just happens to be my torts.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My Reds are all very mellow except my smallest. She likes to sleep in that best spots and steals the best of the food.
This maybe my case too. My cherry is the smallest. He tries to get all the best spots too. Maybe my northerns are retaliating and because they are bigger just over power him. This would suggest the opposite and cherries are more dominant. In my case trying to be more dominant. Dont know, I could be reading into nothing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you? Yes. Should you? No.

Also regardless of species, tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Groups are usually fine. Pairs are usually not fine. Not too long ago we had a new member with two red foots that ignored this advice and 6 weeks later one RF had eaten the tail and back foot of the other one.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Can you? Yes. Should you? No.

Also regardless of species, tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Groups are usually fine. Pairs are usually not fine. Not too long ago we had a new member with two red foots that ignored this advice and 6 weeks later one RF had eaten the tail and back foot of the other one.
GAH! I did not hear about that! Poor tort!