Recycled burrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I was sitting around looking at all the trash piled up in my house, when I noticed this long black styrofoam packaging thing... About 18" long, 5" wide and 3" high... And this lightbulb came on in my brain... It's a burrow for hatchlings!!!! As soon as I put it inside, my shy guy ran straight in! my only concern is that it's styrafoam... is it dangerous for them? It's pretty tough, if they bite it, I don't think they can pierce it. But can the heat lamps cause toxic chemicals? They're not that hot, in fact it's probably not even warm enough inside for the tort regardless. I've always wanted an awesome burrow like this for my guys to hide in, and I can probably attach a wet towel to the top of it for humidity. But is it too risky?

I'm also considering buying some more substrate to pour on top, making it a more realistic burrow, creating floor space (the torts could climb on top) and preventing the direct heat on the dark surface.

Attachments

• image-1025758915.png
    image-1025758915.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 40

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would use something that is less likely to come apart. I wouldn't want him to eat any pieces that rubbed off.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You had a good idea, but styrofoam is not good at any level. It won't be too hard for the baby to start biting bits off and eating it. Also, the heat lamp does emit chemicals even at low heat levels. I would try to replicate it with wood if you can.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
How can i create something similar? They're going to grow out of it in a few months anyway because its so low.
It is really tough, it doesn't break when I pull at it with my nails and I even tried to poke a hole through the top. It's pretty heavy duty.

You're probably right. I removed it. Sorry torts! :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use upside down black dish washing tubs from Walmart. They only cost around two or three bucks. Just cut out a door hole and you are good to go.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I used some "Glad" containers that the Pre-sliced lunch meat comes in. Just cut the narrow sides in a few and tape them together. Turn them upside down and cover with substrate. :) You can make it as long as you want.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mercurysmom said:
Great ideas!! Thank you! Will probably go with a glad container. :)

Haha! I actually spend a little too much time looking for things I can repurpose for my torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.