New "Burrow" Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
With the bunker, if you built it in a mostly square shape, for example, and put the door in the center of one of the walls, you won't really have a "stacking" problem. My above ground boxes have the doors in the center of one longer wall, and they don't get stuck in there. The torts almost always go in and put their faces into a corner. I just don't think you'd need 2 access points. Further argument against two entry points is that it's that much more space that cold (or hot) air can get in, and also opens up a huge potential for a breeze to blow through (which doesn't happen with one door).

I worked as a laborer in concrete starting at 16 (around school), and worked every Las Vegas summer in the sun since, through carpenter ranks, to foreman ranks then a few years ago got pulled into the office as an estimator. I'm supposed to be doing "take-offs" right now. Don't tell nobody I'm on TFO. But I do have a lot of experience in commercial concrete (we don't do houses at all, just big buildings, schools, hospitals and warehouses). It's good to know. I'm currently refining my masonry block laying skills. 1,200 linear feet of 8' wall to go. Help, anyone?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TylerStewart said:
With the bunker, if you built it in a mostly square shape, for example, and put the door in the center of one of the walls, you won't really have a "stacking" problem. My above ground boxes have the doors in the center of one longer wall, and they don't get stuck in there. The torts almost always go in and put their faces into a corner. I just don't think you'd need 2 access points. Further argument against two entry points is that it's that much more space that cold (or hot) air can get in, and also opens up a huge potential for a breeze to blow through (which doesn't happen with one door).

Good points, Tyler. Thanks.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I like the idea of a man made burrow, a few years ago I built a cave for my tortoises so they could get out of the heat,(mountain torts) the open end was facing to the north so no direct sun would get in to heat the inside, the whole front was open, and 3/4 of it was above ground.I used Box Rib metal, 24 gauge, my only concern was one of the tortoise's walking off the top front and getting hurt (that never happened) it was covered with dirt and chicken wire in layers to keep the dirt from washing away and being removed by the tortoise's walking on it. that actually worked pretty good, got some plants to grow on it.What I liked about the metal was how easy it was to work with, cuts easy, and just screws together, it is strong,and will last for many years -If you weld it can be welded together- Remember I'm from the East Coast and brick and block are expensive. Len

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Sorry Tom.. I'm just a "S. O. F." - mine don't burrow.. they climb -

1KeCLIMBER2.jpg

1KeCLIMBER3.jpg

And being a retired 'door-to-door' salesman.. I don't know anything and have soft hands - not any good on this one.. but you asked!

NERD

Criskers

5 Year Member
TylerStewart said:
Idea #2 is pretty much what I'm doing at the new place. I'm doing the walls with concrete block, with a concrete slab on bottom and concrete lid on top (guess what industry I work in?). It will be bulletproof and long term. Entry can be done with a manhole cover on top (which you can buy rings for and stack them, so you can have the lid 1 or 3 feet down but the manhole on the surface. I am leaning more towards boxes that are 4 to 5' high on the inside, with the lid about 1 foot below the surface (so the entire hole will be something like 6' deep). This way you could get in a few times a year and clean them out a bit. They will have a sloped ramp going down, and a door into the box much like my current on ground boxes do (so you could pretty easily crawl right in the front door). I'll get plenty of pics, it won't be for a few more months.... They're going to be MASSIVE, and there will be multiple of them.

I was about to do another of my "sprinkler box" hides probably on Saturday. I'll get some pics of the process.

Wow! Interesting! I'm curious do you think you will have to heat these underground bunkers or will the torts do ok at the approx 58-60 degree ground temps during winter like in a regular burrow?

How will you plan on doing the ramp will they be concrete also?

Are these bunkers going to be into the side of a hill or on flat ground?

How big will each pen be and what will the walls be made of? I have to do something for our big guy soon as well.

By the way thanks for posting the cactus photos :)

Criskers

5 Year Member
Criskers said:
TylerStewart said:
Idea #2 is pretty much what I'm doing at the new place. I'm doing the walls with concrete block, with a concrete slab on bottom and concrete lid on top (guess what industry I work in?). It will be bulletproof and long term. Entry can be done with a manhole cover on top (which you can buy rings for and stack them, so you can have the lid 1 or 3 feet down but the manhole on the surface. I am leaning more towards boxes that are 4 to 5' high on the inside, with the lid about 1 foot below the surface (so the entire hole will be something like 6' deep). This way you could get in a few times a year and clean them out a bit. They will have a sloped ramp going down, and a door into the box much like my current on ground boxes do (so you could pretty easily crawl right in the front door). I'll get plenty of pics, it won't be for a few more months.... They're going to be MASSIVE, and there will be multiple of them.

I was about to do another of my "sprinkler box" hides probably on Saturday. I'll get some pics of the process.

Wow! Interesting! I'm curious do you think you will have to heat these underground bunkers or will the torts do ok at the approx 58-60 degree ground temps during winter like in a regular burrow?

How will you plan on doing the ramp will they be concrete also?

Are these bunkers going to be into the side of a hill or on flat ground?

How big will each pen be and what will the walls be made of? I have to do something for our big guy soon as well.

By the way thanks for posting the cactus photos :)

Hello Tyler? Are you there?

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hi Tom,

I think it's a fantastic idea to offer burrowing animals a chance to actually use a real burrow, even if you have to start it yourself. My Shelly is about 8 years old, and never had a burrow until I started one for him as soon as I got him. I just dug down a couple of feet, and he took it the rest of the way within a few days, about 6 more feet. He LOVES the darn thing; I'm so glad I did it. I don't know how many torts you have housed in the same place, but if it's several, your idea of doing more than one burrow, or having more than one entrance, would probably work out really well. I bet even though your guys don't really dig much, every single one of them will love and use a burrow, and maybe even expand on them once they realize how fun it is to dig!!

I think a box over the burrow for rain and cold would work quite well. That's kind of what I've been doing, although I'm in Florida, so the weatherproofing wasn't as involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.