Help!? (baby tortoise lethargic)

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, so about a month ago I got a baby Leo. She is in a second enclosure has no contact with Tank. I named her luna. Luna doesn't seen to be doing alright she is very sluggish with bursts of energy when I touch her. I noticed today she doesn't want to lift her head or open her eyes. I also noticed she has rarely used the washroom. A tiny tiny bit comes out at one time. Right now she is laying in her bathing bowl for the past half hour I'm trying to get her to go to the washroom but it's not working and she doesn't have the energy. I think she has barely touched her food also. Please help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Help!?

Hi Tyler:

When this happens, you must go over your husbandry, right from the beginning as if you were just setting it up. Double check the temperatures all over the floor of the habitat.

My first GUESS is that you've allowed it to get a bit cool. If you're using the moist method of raising the baby, then getting cool and being moist is a very bad thing.

Temporarily set the baby up in a smaller hospital tank. Its a good idea for everyone to keep an empty 10 gallon aquarium for this. Warm the hospital tank up to 85F degrees all over the tank and have a cover for it to keep the cooler air from the house out of the tank.

Soak the baby in warm water daily for about 15 minutes, sitting the soaking bowl back inside the hospital tank to keep it warm.

Then go back to your regular habitat and give it a good going over. Temperature, substrate, hiding places, food, double check everything.

(Oh, and, Tyler - its quite ok to say 'poop' here on the forum. We all say it!! )

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
RE: Help!?

I think you are right it probably did get to cool and moist. She was eating like a pig then stopped when I introduced dandelion about two days ago. The basking is 95 at night where she sleeps in 73-74. Could she be really constipated? Should I be calling a vet. Do you think she will get better once she is heated up. I did have her in constant warm water for a while.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
73-74 would be ok if it were a dry habitat, but a degree or two makes a big difference to a baby tortoise. I wouldn't let your moist habitat get below 80F degrees.

I'd hate to tell you that you don't need a vet and then have the tortoise die. If you think you need to go to the vet, then by all means, do so. The vet may see something in real life that members of a forum aren't able to see in pictures and words.

As to the constipation question, it takes a while for food to move through the system. If the tortoise was pooping prior to when it stopped eating, then I'd say you don't have to worry about constipation.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I booked a vet anyways just in case thanks for your help. The dandelions were store bought from te place I always get them I am also feeding to to my other tortoise and he is running around as I write this.

The tortoise rarely pooped. Even when soaking she went one time since owning her. First week then nothing